Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've started Tenor Sax around a month ago and I'm really interested in playing bebop jazz and improvisation, so I'm looking for good material to start on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Hi, I've started Tenor Sax around a month ago and I'm really interested in playing bebop jazz and improvisation, so I'm looking for good material to start on.
RIGHT HERE ON SOTW- A book and a half of free stuff. Enjoy :)

http://www.saxontheweb.net/Price/

Saxophone Necessities - Basic Skills That Are A Must for all saxophonists
This is a great article and an excellent summary of many Tim's preceding lessons on SOTW and should be required reading before going to more detailed lessons below.

Ear Training on Chord Tones - Phase 1, 2, 3, 2004
Solo Sax Arrangement on "Happy Birthday", June 2004
Dom7 Chord Line using Your Ear, November 2003
Double Tonguing on the Saxophone July 2003
Major Thirds Moving In Whole Step Motion, July 2003
Bird-ology phrase study on "Ko Ko", July 2003
Rootless Major Chord Shapes - Bird-ology Study "Now's The Time", April 2003
Blues Scale Matrix on II-V Jazz Lines, December 2002
Analyzing Tunes, November 2002
II-V-I Patterns: Starting on the Tonic of the II Minor 7 Chord.
This lesson in seven parts: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4| 5 | 6 | 7 |, August 2002
Book Review: Practice Like the Pros by Sue Terry June 2002
(Sue Terry's SOTW article: The Secret of a Good Sound with a foreword by Tim Price, July 2002)
A Long Look At The Blues (Part 2) April 2002
"Everyone loves to play the blues. In this lesson, I've taken an in-depth approach to give you all some information, new ideas, ear training, and fresh approaches to this form."
A Long Look At The Blues (Part 1) March 2002
Melodic Improvisation August, 2000
Major Triads Sept. 2000
Minor Triads Oct. 2000
Dominant 7th Nov. 2000
ii-V7 Cord Change Dec. 2000
2-Bar Phrase Major Chords Jan. 2001
Post Bop study on Blues Feb. 2001
Bebop Idea Through Maj7th March 2001
Minor Exercises - Whole Step April 2001
V7 Through Cycle of Fourths May 2001
Dominant 7th Madness! June 2001
I - VI7b9 - IIm - V7 Change July 2001
Minor 7b5 to Dominant 7b9 August 2001
2 Bar II-V Phrases - via Entire Range of the Sax September 2001
Chord derived from 2nd Step - Jazz Melodic Minor Scale October 2001
Bird-ology Studies to Improve Time, Phrase Lengths, and Intensity Levels November 2001

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've been playing alto sax for two weeks (guitar for a whole lot longer) And last night I got a hold of "hal leonard jazz play-along slo' jazz." it was awesome! really good backing tracks not smothered in reverb, thin and crappy like I'm used to from guitar books I got. It was alot of fun playing to it. and I can use the books for guitars as well. It's a series of hundreds of books alot of standards but you can also find jazz arrangements of disney, classical tunes and beatles.

this is from hal leonards site:

"For use with all B-flat, E-flat, Bass Clef and C instruments, the Jazz Play-Along Series is the ultimate learning tool for all jazz musicians. With musician-friendly lead sheets, melody cues, and other split-track choices on the included CD, these first-of-a-kind packages help you master improvisation while playing some of the greatest tunes of all time.
FOR STUDY, each tune includes a split track with: melody cue with proper style and inflection • professional rhythm tracks • choruses for soloing • removable bass part • removable piano part.
FOR PERFORMANCE, each tune also has: an additional full stereo accompaniment track (no melody) • additional choruses for soloing."

here you can look at all books, some of them have audio previews.

http://www.halleonard.com/search/search.do?seriesfeature=JZPLYA

(Souns like I'm working for hal leonard haha. but I enjoyed the books so it's worth checking out)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
What's your musical background? Do you read? Do you play other instruments? Have you played in the past?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah they have great material here for beginners to use. That is how I found this website to begin with it shows up high on Google search results. I will be starting some of the exercises this weekend.

·
Registered
235 Posts
For material, please get one thing.

RECORDINGS. Listen to bebop for every second of the day till some dude can just call Quasimodo, Cheryl, Klactoveedstene, or Bird Feathers and you can sing it on the spot. Then grab the books. It's gotta get into your ears first, then bring the books in. Ears to subconsciously develop the feel for the music, then the intellectual understanding to give tips on how to play it, and to get around your horn.

My advice might differ from how you may learn, this is only the way I've haphazardly found my own learning style.

·
Registered
20 Posts
on top of doing a lot of listening and etudes/exercises I suggest reading Hal Galper's Forward Motion book. It will really help your conception and get you on your way to really understanding how to construct melodic lines that outline the harmony and sound good!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
There is more information available here than you could ever learn in a lifetime. One thing that I have found is that unless you already have a good music background or are very good at parsing information to get to the core of something, it can be easy to get overwhelmed. A good instructor can help to keep you focused on one approach so you don't get bogged down in trying to figure out what to do next. I still haven't really learned much jazz theory due to lack of time to dedicate to it and the fact that I haven't had an instructor in a while to keep me focused. If you don't have somebody local for instruction there are some internet options available that can accomplish much the same thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts