Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Umm Y'all Holy S**T

Look in the listing body....still not great but more detailed pics...about average for an eBay posting. The plugged key actually looks not awful to fix.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,798 Posts

well, all is well, but someone has taken the side Eb and plugged it removing the entire mechanism ( see how badly botched this is, you see the left over “ print” of the posts on the side of that metal “ button” ) which has to be a very nasty thing and for any collector a MAJOR problem

To my mind THIS is a very NO NO :(

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Agreed it is a problem. I'm thinking more to play it the fix shouldn't be too bad.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,798 Posts

But this horn would have been a great piece for the collector.

Someone decided to deface it.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Absolutely, it takes someone willing to "love" it for what it is and be able to work within those confines. I'll take that risk.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts

What's the point of this thread besides the really inappropriate name?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,955 Posts

well, all is well, but someone has taken the side Eb and plugged it removing the entire mechanism ( see how badly botched this is, you see the left over “ print” of the posts on the side of that metal “ button” ) which has to be a very nasty thing and for any collector a MAJOR problem

It was badly done, that is just JB weld there. YES, easy to unplug...HOWEVER, I am certain that the original keycup is gone and likely a portion of the touch which would have operated it (which now just serves the lower stack E) was amputated as well. The guard and posts are also of course gone.

I mean IF a shop is gonna do that, and take it to a point that re-animating the whole thing will be difficult (and pricey)...they should have just removed the tonehole chimney as well - and done the sort of patch which is level with the body tube, then spot-plate the area to make the whole thing disappear altogether.
But not many techs can do that and make it look really clean.
So a better decision would have been to leave it there, then just cork shut the keycup.

Also no front F.

Dunno how I feel about this one. I'd be inclined to say buyer paid too much. It will likely need some servicing at least a few hundred bucks worth, and it has been altered in a way which a history/vintage buff would not find amenable.

·
Registered
696 Posts

Interesting that you would be offended by such.....apparently your sensibilities are more tender than you have shown ?

(Ya' old softie, you.....)
It's not the length of the word that matters, it's the *'s

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

Actually, it looks like the diamonds (bases) are still in place and intact, so it is not as bad a fix as it seemed. The sleeves appear to be at least semi-intact so it'll take some wire to rebuild the cage. The missing cup is a different problem altogether but the chimney looks still good (will need some leveling, for sure)

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
So what we have here is a horn that WAS a collector-grade instrument, possibly, and then some knucklehead took the "unneeded" keywork off, plugged the tone hole, and cut the cage off its feet (while leaving the feet attached). This means that to restore the fork Eb that didn't need to be removed, someone's going to have to find parts, make a variety of modifications, and then re-plate various things to make it back the way it should have been left in the first place.

Without a front F the main value in this thing is as a "collector" piece, but now the idiot has done away with that too.

It amazes me that people will take extra effort to mutilate something unnecessarily, when for a great deal less effort (cut a cork wedge and stick it in there so the key doesn't work; or alternately, if you don't understand why the key is there, leave it the heck alone) they would have a better result.

I have had 5 different instruments, that I can remember, with the fork Eb mechanism and I have NEVER, not once, had any trouble with it.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts

Actually, it looks like the diamonds (bases) are still in place and intact, so it is not as bad a fix as it seemed. The sleeves appear to be at least semi-intact so it'll take some wire to rebuild the cage. The missing cup is a different problem altogether but the chimney looks still good (will need some leveling, for sure)
You've got to take the bases off the sax, then make up the cage out of wire, then silver-solder it to the bases, then clean everything up, re-plate then re-attach. That's quite a few hours (if lucky, a donor instrument can be found so you don't have to do all that) - and you still haven't fixed the missing keywork (Jayelid points out, anyone who's stupid enough to do what's been done there, probably also cut off the little arm on the ""E" touch - no need to, but idiots tend to be thorough - that's why it's so hard to idiotproof anything).

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, as the idiot who bought it, hopefully it plays decently. I do have a couple of "reserve" Martin Handcraft Tenors (parts horns) to help.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I was using the term "idiot" in reference to the person who did the unnecessary keywork modification. I hope you understood that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts