Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Someone is selling this tenor locally, but googling doesn't turn up much information. It's called a Master "Artiste" and I think it looks similar to some pictures of the Pierrets I've found - especially the lettering of "Artiste". I tried to read up more on http://www.saxpics.com/?v=man&manID=16 and http://bassic-sax.info/version5/vintage-saxes/european-made-saxes/pierret/pierret-galleries/artiste/ but they don't really provide me with much more info...

Is this a Pierret? If so, is this considered a good horn? What's the value, if you'd guess?

1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Regards,
M

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Yes.

$900-1000usd if it is in good playing shape. If it needs work, maybe $500-650.
Cool, thanks for the input. How does it compare to the Artiste Competition? Do you know when these were manufactured? What's the reason for not having the name Pierret on there, was it some sort of stencil?

How do these play normally, sound and intonation wise?

I'll go play it before I buy of course, just curious if it's worth my time. I've wanted a Pierret since I read the SHWoodwind review of the alto!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,336 Posts
Probably prices are higher in Switzerland as also overhauls are quite a bit more expensive than in other parts of the world

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably prices are higher in Switzerland as also overhauls are quite a bit more expensive than in other parts of the world
They sure are... Like everything in this country :)

The seller is saying that the pads play, but should be replaced. Also the cork doesn't look good...

·
40,336 Posts
well, that means a general overhaul which doesn’t surprise me at all, in fact I almost always factor in an overhaul (and advise it for most horns that I sell too) because it is really rare that a second hand horn needs nothing at all.

How much is the seller asking? I would certainly think this horn , even needing an overhaul, would be worth a fair bit of money, not as little as it apparently would in America (where horns are generally cheaper than in most of Europe and where apparenlty some folks sell overhauled horns at less than the price of the overhaul only would be here).

I could recommend a couple of great shops in the NL or a friend of mine in Austria ( he did my Super 20 several years ago).

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's offered for about USD 500, which doesn't seem too bad then. Might go check out.

·
40,336 Posts
It is really very cheap and even factoring in a Swiss overhaul it would be still cheaper than a similar overhauled horn found (if that can be found) in Switzerland in a shop

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see, cool! I'm still a bit unclear about the horn though - do you know if it's a Pierret stencil or something else? Is Master the brand?

·
40,336 Posts
I thought the situations was rather clear, this is a Pierret made saxophone stenciled under the name Master. Pierret, like any company (with the exception of very few, like Selmer, which, I think never stencilled any of their models for any other brand) offere pretty much the same deal at the time that some Taiwanese or Chinese companies offer now.

A shop (for example) or an importer would buy something with their own name on it . Another possibility was that if they had a customer in the same country buying Pierret they would offer another company to buy the same saxophones with another name. The cartouche above the model name Artiste was left blank and engraved with the name of choice when they sold it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought the situations was rather clear, this is a Pierret made saxophone stenciled under the name Master. Pierret, like any company (with the exception of very few, like Selmer, which, I think never stencilled any of their models for any other brand) offere pretty much the same deal at the time that some Taiwanese or Chinese companies offer now.

A shop (for example) or an importer would buy something with their own name on it . Another possibility was that if they had a customer in the same country buying Pierret they would offer another company to buy the same saxophones with another name. The cartouche above the model name Artiste was left blank and engraved with the name of choice when they sold it.
Thanks, I didn't know this was the case! Clears up a lot, even though I still haven't found much information about the "Artiste" model besides a couple of pictures. But this is just because I'm curious, either way I'll go and play test it (or just check out the condition if pads are too bad).

Again, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
40,336 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
40,336 Posts
they will but it takes a long time sometimes, also this address in “ in clear” on their blog which, I am sure, overloads their spam box Mr. Denis Watel used to be their secretary or president

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually pretty quick reply in the end. I was referred to Mr Jean Jacques Bona (http://luthiervents.blogspot.com) who collects and repairs old french horns, and he confirms that it's a Pierret (as we knew) but not sure about whether "Master" is a dealer's name (i.e. a stencil) or Pierret's own trademark (how he explained it).

I tried the sax earlier today and took the following new pictures for Mr Bona (see below) of the G# cluster and the bell brace - also there's no serial number on the sax at all.

20190212_140423.jpg 20190212_140419.jpg

Because of these he ruled out that it might be a Pierret model 67 and that it is indeed the "Artiste" model - a professional type of horn from before 1968 he says. It existed at the same time as the Pierret models 67 and 77. He said this is another example of an "Artiste" tenor, but wrongfully labelled as Artiste Competition: https://foxasone.com/tenor-pierret-artiste-competition/. This one indeed looks extremely similar to the one I checked out today.

I ended up not buying it, but it was close... For about USD 550 I think it's a really good price, even factoring in another 700 or so for a complete overhaul here in Switzerland. It's just that I was a bit disappointed with the ergonomics as I would've wanted to really use it for playing. Modern horns seem so much more comfortable to me - and I own a Martin Committee III Alto which I've used quite a bit, but can never seem to be completely happy with compared to my YAS-62.

It seems better to me that someone else picks it up, who won't mind the ergonomics and will play the hell out of it :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
40,336 Posts
Well , at twice the price before an overhaul in Switzerland, it is not such a good deal anymore.

The market demand for Pierrets is not huge , not that they don’t deserve it, but it is not huge.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Cool, thanks for the input. How does it compare to the Artiste Competition? Do you know when these were manufactured? What's the reason for not having the name Pierret on there, was it some sort of stencil?

How do these play normally, sound and intonation wise?

I'll go play it before I buy of course, just curious if it's worth my time. I've wanted a Pierret since I read the SHWoodwind review of the alto!
Because of Stephen's review of the Competition, the Competition fetches the highest price. The Artiste horns are not far removed from the Competitions, however. Matter of fact, to a player it is arguable there's any benefit of a Competition over an Artiste.

Helen's website has a nice write-up on Pierret:

http://bassic-sax.info/version5/vintage-saxes/european-made-saxes/pierret/

If he had offered it to you for 500...then it is fair to contact him and say "I'd like to buy it for 500". If it is now at 599 and it is still available, then he should consider selling it to you for the price it was at when you inquired. That is typical seller etiquette really.
If several people are interested, then why is it still available, I would wonder ?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Because of Stephen's review of the Competition, the Competition fetches the highest price. The Artiste horns are not far removed from the Competitions, however. Matter of fact, to a player it is arguable there's any benefit of a Competition over an Artiste.

Helen's website has a nice write-up on Pierret:

http://bassic-sax.info/version5/vintage-saxes/european-made-saxes/pierret/

If he had offered it to you for 500...then it is fair to contact him and say "I'd like to buy it for 500". If it is now at 599 and it is still available, then he should consider selling it to you for the price it was at when you inquired. That is typical seller etiquette really.
If several people are interested, then why is it still available, I would wonder ?
The website Ricardo is like Switzerland's eBay basically. He had the horn listed for 599, but offered it directly from him for 550 as he could then skip the fee to the auction site (probably not compliant!). Now he's increased the starting price to 999 instead, but not sure on what basis. Maybe he read this thread and thought it was too cheap a price :)

The same guy has a beautiful looking Competition alto listed here: https://www.ricardo.ch/de/a/vintag-altsax-pierret-paris-competition-970678890/ with a starting price of 1899 (CHF but similar in USD). I've been eyeing it for a while, a few months ago he had it at 2400 something if I remember correctly but seems to be a tough sell...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts