Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a few questions for some people that have better knowledge of this kind of thing. I have a martin tenor saxophone. 1950's. It has a dull silver finish on the outside but the keys seem to be lacquered silver. The inside of the bell however is gold. I do not know if this was possibly the original color of it and the lacquer wore off or if it is meant to be this color. I would really like to possibly get it re-lacquered or finished but i am not sure what this would do to the tone of the horn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
This thread was moved to the correct sub forum for this topic.

The finish that you describe sounds like a 1920's era horn, NOT 1950's. It is likely a satin finish, silver plated horn with polished silver or nickel plate keys and a gold washed bell interior. Unlike gold lacquer (which only became a finish option starting in the late 1920's early 1930's), there was no such thing as a silver lacquer finish option, so it is plated.

Put a few photos up of the horn and we can both ID the era it was made, and the specific model in question.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,225 Posts
Just to second what saxismyaxe said, it's plated, NOT lacquered. It can be polished up to look like new (no need to re-plate or lacquer it). That won't change the tone at all, but when you get the overhaul to accompany the polish job (since the horn has to be taken apart anyway to do a good job polishing it), the horn will no doubt PLAY and probably sound a lot better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,378 Posts
Unless it was custom ordered (?) Tenorplayer, post some photos, please. You can also refer to the website link above to cross-reference the serial number with the era....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts