Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played played a 150xxx "The Martin" tenor yesterday and was knocked out by the sound and pitch. Orig lac 80%, matching neck and new overhaul. Crappy case, but not an issue considering all. Is this a Committee? I want to buy it but have no idea what a fair price would be. Any input would be helpful. Thanks - John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I believe this is a Committee also know as a Committee 3 from the 1940's ('46 -'47). Anywhere from $1200 to $2500 depending on general condition and state of repair. I owned one. They are very nice horns. Check Ebay completed sales.

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
I can attest that these are spectacular horns that can be purchased far below their worth as superlative instruments. They are my primary model Tenor and Baritone of choice. The Martin Alto shares that honor with my Super 20 and Zephyr altos.

Much has been written about their many virtues on this forum, so check the archives and read up.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have a "The Martin" Committee III tenor from 1951 it's one of the best tenors I've owned. I bought it from Matt Stohrer with his overhaul on it and it's a monster player. Here's a pic

http://www.stohrermusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/martin1.jpg

If you can get one in perfect working condition like mine don't hesitate to pay in the neighborhood of $2000-$2600. If it needs an overhaul but is in very good physical condition I would say $1200-$1700 depending on condition and accessories.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,175 Posts
http://www.themartinstory.net/version7/cookieLaw.php

According to the Martin Story site, it's a Committee, made in about 1945.

Also according to the Martin Story, it's valued at about $1000 but those are very old prices. (I believe the site has not been updated in many years.)

Most of us Martin fans think they are often undervalued. Then again, it depends on how desirable it is to you. You could offer $1200 and see what the seller says. Or is it an ebay auction?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My mistake - the serial # is 151xxx, not 150xxx. According to this list http://www.saxpics.com/?v=ser&manID=14 Committee II stops at 150xxx. So I guess that makes it a Committee III. Local private sale. He's asking $1600. A little less for cash. Thinking of buying it as a 2nd horn.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep that's the one.
I have a "The Martin" Committee III tenor from 1951 it's one of the best tenors I've owned. I bought it from Matt Stohrer with his overhaul on it and it's a monster player. Here's a pic

http://www.stohrermusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/martin1.jpg

If you can get one in perfect working condition like mine don't hesitate to pay in the neighborhood of $2000-$2600. If it needs an overhaul but is in very good physical condition I would say $1200-$1700 depending on condition and accessories.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
That serial makes it a 1945 The Martin Tenor, according to The Martin Story which is the best Martin info site on the web: http://www.themartinstory.net/version7/whatyou-how-old.php .

That is a great year I can tell you because my tenor is 153,18X and it is a fantastic player. My tech's assistent who is a much better player than me plays one from the early 50's and told me last month after playing mine that it is better than his. He asked me if I wanted to sell it. Ha Ha. I paid $1600 for it back 6 years ago on Ebay, which might have been too high because of the bad relac job, but the horn plays and sounds so good, who cares. I consider it money well spent. I think the price he is asking is fair if the horn has no problems, dents, resolders, etc. and doesn't need pads or any other major work but given the economic situation and the generally lower prices for saxes lately, you might be able to haggle and get it for less. But that's within the price range for one from that period in my experience of looking at them on Ebay over the years.

You can't go wrong with a The Martin, compared to a MKVI, the rich man's Martin.

·
13,175 Posts
Go for it. Offer $1400. Settle at $1500. :cool:

Edit: You said you were "knocked out by the sound and pitch." You will love this horn.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
What the man said!

·
13,175 Posts
Or offer $1200 and settle at $1400 all cash. :bluewink:

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Even better. But buy it whatever you do, you won't regret it. I have never even once had the desire to try another tenor, not even the famed MKVI. Why would I need to or want to when the sound of my The Martin gives me a thrill every time I blow it. And btw Peter, I've been using a Plasticover exclusively for 3 weeks now and it's great. I don't even have to take it off the mpc except every couple of days to wash it. It plays great every time, so the sax is on the stand with the mpc on it and I can pick it up and blow anytime without all that reed B.S. That's what I call Freedom!

·
13,175 Posts
And btw Peter, I've been using a Plasticover exclusively for 3 weeks now and it's great. I don't even have to take it off the mpc except every couple of days to wash it. It plays great every time, so the sax is on the stand with the mpc on it and I can pick it up and blow anytime without all that reed B.S. That's what I call Freedom!
There ya go. :headbang:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I almost bought a com III about a year ago locally. It had multiple resolders... Was that something to be scared about or is that just par for the course for the Martins?

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Mine doesn't have any that I can see, but I don't know if it would be any more common with the Martins than with any other vintage horn of that era. Martins are pretty solidly built IMO, but I haven't played too many other tenors to be able to say how they compare. More like it had to do with the way the owner treated it than the quality of the horn itself.

·
13,175 Posts
Resolders are NOT par for the course for any of my 3 Martins. Sounds like a case of sax abuse.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Glad to hear that you have joined the Martin Club. You won't ever be disappointed by it. I love my The Martin Tenor and can't imagine wanting to play any other.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts