Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Searchlight alto and I am really surprised ..what a great horn !
Compared to a Conn 26m it is less spread in Sound but compared to a SBA alto
it got that elegance in Sound like the Selmer what a surprise

With Tenors are the Martins from that period as well less spread and more focused ?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Haven't played the tenor but I have to agree the alto I have was such a surprise, and
I only payed $275 for the horn, really sweet sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I haven't owned a Comm I tenor but my HC Imp and a Comm II I just sold are terrific tenors. THe Comm III I am selling is has a more centered sound. I also have a bunch of Martin altos of each model. What I find with Martins is that the older ones have a fatter buzzier sound and the later ones more centered. I find the ones from the 30s to be the best of both worlds. Don't overlook the HC Imperials as they didn't build a lot of them and they are the first of the new wave of Martins.....great intonation and an open sound.
Congrats on your purchase.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
I just sold a matched pair of Comm 1 alto and tenor. I dearly loved them, but I didn't have need for multiple altos and tenors any more. The tenor is a rich sound, easy to subtone, and fantastic in the low register, just like the alto. If I could have found a Comm 1 bari and a handcraft soprano, I might have kept the matched pair and sold some of my other horns. These are great instruments for small $$$.
Sax Magic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts