Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,496 Posts
Not. The low C guard is distinctly Conn, as is the antiquated octave mechanism. Though the tone holes appear beveled, that's not enough to make it Martin. Some of the old horns that shared Conn and Martin characteristics turn out to be Couturier. I'd have to lean Conn though, just for the octave mechanism which appears to be just like the one on my 1920 Conn New Wonder bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,394 Posts
Side neck pip, only keyed up to Eb. A fixer.

It was only worth around $250 actually. Even completely overhauled, the horn would be worth perhaps $650.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The low C key guard isn't definitive on a stencil. This one has beveled tone holes which indicate it might be Martin although the keywork, notably, the LH A touch piece does look like Conn, too.

It also might be Courtier or mixed parts made in Elkhart.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
The low C guard is Courturier.
Could it be a Holton, Martin, or Couturier with a replaced low C guard? Did anyone else ever use the octave vent on the side of the neck besides Conn? Could it be a Frankenhorn of some sort? I tell you, everything except the beveled tone holes looks totally Conn to me.

Upon second look, (still disrgarding the tone holes) it looks awfully like a Conn but not just exactly. No X brace at bell. Much of the mechanism looks very much like Conn. The fork Eb on the lower stack, I've only ever seen made that particular way on Conns and Holtons. The felt bumper on the low C key rather than the guard is very Conn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts