Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a c melody sax (Martin Stencil) and couldnt get it in tune. I was round at my tech's tonight and he let me try his Martin tenor mouthpiece (hes not sure where he acquired it). This really helped the tuning! I have an aquilasax c melody and also tried a selmer tenor (too long shank) and a dukoff (couldnt tune it either).

Does anyone out there know anything about Martin mouthpieces? It only seems to be stamped Martin with a hollow star above and below the name. Hes very kindly going to swop this for me if I can give him another piece, but I dont know its value and I dont want to give him an unfair trade if its valuable!

Thanks for your help

mrsax100

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
Is this what it looks like?

If so, I just sold that one (an alto model) on the forum for $20. It's either plastic or a plastic/rubber blend. Not very valuable mouthpieces on the open market I don't believe, which isn't to say you shouldn't go ahead and get it if it works for you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Chitownjazz - thanks a lot for the response, that looks fairly much like the piece. I'm happy using it, I was wondering about value to make sure I didnt swop it with a cheaper piece - as I thought it might have been collectable vintage.

Simon - thank you for the note - I've already bought an aquilasax c melody piece, which hasnt worked on this particular sax, so I'll do the swop for the martin and see how it goes, maybe in the future I will get to try a Beechler.

Thanks again!

Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts