Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original adjustable thumbhook on my '45 The Martin Tenor was killing my thumb. It was so unergonomically designed I can't believe I'm the only one to have suffered with it. Besides being tiny, instead of its underside being flat, it's convex, which effectively makes all the weight of the sax rest on one point of your thumb where the top of the ridge touches and presses down. After two months of constant playing this raised a huge painful bump on the bone which was aggravated each time I played and which caused me to resort to all sorts of jerryrigged solutions that really didn't cut it.

Then I read about Martin Mods in this section of the forum and hope sprang up. I wrote Lance to see if he could make a replacement by attaching a modern style hook to a bar like the one that slides into the holder on the body and thus avoid having to remove or resolder anything on the body. He said sure and proceeded to do just that in a flash.

In just three weeks it had arrived here in Spain and I was installing the very first Martin Comfort Thumbhook on my sax and giving it a try. Due to the holidays and family commitments, I haven't really had a chance to play the horn much using it yet, but just holding it is such an improvement already that I can't imagine playing 2.5 hours a day will be anything less than a breeze. It already feels like what holding a sax should be--where you don't notice your thumb--rather than a torture device with a thumbscrew clamping down on your digit and making playing an exercise in withstanding pain.

On top of that his thumbhook is beautiful, since Lance designed it to look very much like the original so as to fit in with the vintage style of the horn. Many people probably won't even notice the difference unless they look closely. I've posted a couple of photos below so you can see what a gem it is.

At the risk of sounding like an advertiser for MartinMods (I have no connection other than being a very satisfied client) I just want to say how totally professional Lance Burton is and what a pleasure it has been dealing with him every step of the way. He did this all so quickly, yet even apologized for taking the time he did. As far as I am concerned he is a totally standup guy who fully deserves our support and business. I look forward to having enough extra cash one day soon to pay for a replacement pinky table for my Conn New Wonder that he says he can make.

Here's his page on Ebay for the thumbhook: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250338676317&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Thanks Again Lance. :):D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,317 Posts
That's a nice lookin hook..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,285 Posts
I needed an original for my alto and Martinmods came to the rescue! Even the little screw and underside cork was correct. A great guy to deal with!!! I had considered tooling up to make these but now I don't have to go to the trouble.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after a month of playing my The Martin Tenor with Lance's modded thumbhook, I can happily report that...

the pain is gone, the pain is gone away (imagine BB King's voice)
:D:D:D

If you have had even the least bit of discomfort playing a Martin with the tiny original thumbhook, I highly recommend getting one of these to replace it as it is a very inexpensive and makes all the difference in the world. (unsolicited testimonial)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts