Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Martin Indiana tenor from a friend. The horn is in decent shape with only two repairs needed. Two key guards are loose and that is easily fixed.

The other needed repair involves a snapped off piece of the floating lever. The only part of the lever that is missing is the joint / arm where it takes a 90 degree turn up to the neck ring. All of the articulation rods from the octave key are present and working fine. The broken off piece is missing so a simple re-solder is not possible. The upper register plays fine if you manually lift the octave key on the neck...not a long term solution:(

My questions: Is this an easy fix for a technician since finding a replacement part will not be easy? Can parts from other tenor saxes be adapted? Can anyone recommend a tech in the Philly area who would take on this work?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I recently purchased a Martin Indiana tenor from a friend. The horn is in decent shape with only two repairs needed. Two key guards are loose and that is easily fixed.

The other needed repair involves a snapped off piece of the floating lever. The only part of the lever that is missing is the joint / arm where it takes a 90 degree turn up to the neck ring. All of the articulation rods from the octave key are present and working fine. The broken off piece is missing so a simple re-solder is not possible. The upper register plays fine if you manually lift the octave key on the neck...not a long term solution:(

My questions: Is this an easy fix for a technician since finding a replacement part will not be easy? Can parts from other tenor saxes be adapted? Can anyone recommend a tech in the Philly area who would take on this work?
OK, if I interpret correctly, the broken off and missing piece is the bent arm that goes from the axle up to interact with the octave key on the neck.

This is an easy fix. There would be two approaches: 1) Cut the relevant piece off a junk parts horn, and bend and shape a bit, and silver solder to your existing key; or 2) cut a piece of 1/8" x 1/4" brass stock, bend to fit, and silver solder to your existing key. YOu certainly do not need an entire replacement part.

I would guess you would probably get charged around two hours shop labor if you don't require it to look perfect and factory, but are satisfied with a neat workman-like job that is functional.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the money, guys. Exactly what is wrong and the fix you recommend was what I thought a good repairman would probably do I considered doing it myself with some 1/8 or 3/16 brass rod, but had second thoughts when I got worried I might ruin the entire lever that works other critical parts.

I take it this is a job any good repairman can do.

Tanks for the quick responses.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
A tech can make that part easily for you. Not a difficult one

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts