Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Martin Indiana tenor for a good price. It needs a little work, but it plays well enough for the type of amateur playing I do. It has matching serial numbers on neck and body, nickel keys, Indian Head full engraving, heart shaped left hand rest, adjustable right thumb rest, and heavy brass construction. This thing feels like a tank and I love the lower register to death.

Here's where the mystery to me comes in. All my web searching leads me to believe that this combo of features was present only on the late 40s / early 50s Indianas. So the sax should have a low serial # ( say <45,000). Most website charts tell you the late 50s up to 1962 Indianas (last year) had dropped all of the features described above. However , the serial # of mine is 71XXX, putting it as a 1959-1960 horn if you believe the accepted chart data.

The sun will still come up tomorrow either way, but does anyone have any explanation on how this serial # /feature set could exist? Maybe a 1955-56 tenor where there are serial # gaps? According to the charts I have found, 71XXX is 1959-60.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Interesting. Yeah it seems your serial doesn't coincide with the details. I am just finishing up an Indiana serial 72,XXX and it's lacquer keys, no Indian head, fixed thumbhook, and round thumbrest.

Could be the factory had some older Indiana body and keys lying around and assembled yours later....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JayeLID,
The features on your 72XXX Indiana are right in line with the serial in all the references I have seen. I am positive of the serial on mine as the punched numbers on both body and neck are very clear. Your guess as to how this came about is as good as any I can come up with.
Thanks for responding.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
serial number range #1 instead of number 2

Number is 172,xxx (1950) and the 1 is so soft it just looks like it starts with the 7

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reference site. I had previously surveyed that one for some info.
Click, your 172XXX would be a Committee III. Indiana saxes only have 5 digits ranging from 26000 -96000. As much as I would like it to be CIII, it's an Indiana....

·
Registered
790 Posts
My first tenor was a Martin Indiana with all the features, full engraving, heart shaped LH and adjustable RH thumbrest. Nickel keys and the body had a beautiful darkish lacquer. Mine also had the Richards era RMC shield on it so must have been a '61 or later I guess.
BTW, no R cut-out but the normal wired keyguards and no "Richards" in the engraving exept for the shield on the back of the body.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Thanks for the reference site. I had previously surveyed that one for some info.
Click, your 172XXX would be a Committee III. Indiana saxes only have 5 digits ranging from 26000 -96000. As much as I would like it to be CIII, it's an Indiana....

Of course that is correct, assuming that nothing is wrong. But something is wrong.
You admit that your horn has a number that corresponds to a 1960 build date.
But that number does not fit the characteristics of the horn.
Assuming that the number on the horn is correct, where is a number like that found?
My wild assumption is based upon the coincidence that the 1950 number for the first line has 71 in it.
So the first line number got put on a second line horn by accidental incident.
Crazy facts call for crazy explanations.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
Do Martin Indiana’s have a second number stamped under the RH palm keys like some makes?

·
872 Posts
In the 1960 price list on Saxophone.org, the Indiana was still available in standard and Deluxe models. I've seen both versions with RMC engraving, so I think the Deluxe model lasted into 1961.

Do Martin Indiana’s have a second number stamped under the RH palm keys like some makes?
My 1953 alto does, on the side Bb arm just below the hinge tube.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stocker
I think you get have hit the nail on the head. I also ran across a reference that stated the Indiana was made and sold in two grades at the same time up until 1961 -2 (reference was vague on date). They also referred to the models as standard and deluxe.

·
3,920 Posts
Stocker
I think you get have hit the nail on the head. I also ran across a reference that stated the Indiana was made and sold in two grades at the same time up until 1961 -2 (reference was vague on date). They also referred to the models as standard and deluxe.
I’m curious as to what reference you found the data in ? It’s always fun when you find answers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts