Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The upper stack rod is really long on this one. Yet it’s still perfectly straight and aligns spot on with the end post.
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Reed
Musical instrument Wind instrument Art Wood Metal

Removing the rollers can be really easy or disastrous. These were well soaked also with penetrant. Make sure the roller is turning and not the hinge pin. Otherwise there is a chance when you turn the screw you can crack the roller in half. Sometimes a little heat will help. Be careful ! Some of the rollers are plastic and some are mother of pearl. Neither like heat.
keep things sorted whatever way works. Notes or hieroglyphics.
Photograph Purple Pink Material property Font

Anywhere on a sax if you can’t get grip on part to pull it out. Use soft jaw pliers like these brass ones. Just make sure to grab cross the screw slot so you don’t crush it closed. Essentially there’s no salvaging that oops ! Yeah you can spread the piece apart again. But you’re just setting yourself up for failure on another day. It will break off.
Wood Magenta Office supplies Jewellery Metal

it’s also possible to grab a rod with these same pliers and lightly tap with a mallet. But keep in mind the hammering may also knock a post out of alignment. Typically I use this technique when needle springs are in the vicinity. I don’t like getting stuck.
Everything is a judgment call.
Bottle Wind instrument Magenta Engineering Nail

· Registered
57 Posts
I have a Martin Indiana tenor that I have just sent in for a repad and service. Here are some pictures showing some of the issues I’ve observed. The left hand thumb rest was small and uncomfortable, so I augmented it with some poster putty as a temporary fix. The bell C cup guard has been repaired before, but currently it doesn’t vent sufficiently for the D to play in tune.

Above all, the saxophone is just too musty to play. I dated it to around 1958–1961 with the help of the Cafe Saxophone post linked above. It appears the majority of the pads, lacking resonators, have never been replaced. Some were replaced with overly-thick pads with domed plastic resonators. The pads will be replaced with flat metal resonator pads of the correct thickness. The old pads, impregnated with the musty odor, actually sealed remarkably well despite their age. I was able to play down to low B flat with little trouble aside from the health hazards associated with the mustiness.
Musical instrument Saxophone Reed instrument Reed Plant

Musical instrument Reed Saxophone Reed instrument Saxophonist

Glasses Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

Sleeve Musical instrument Jewellery Metal Wind instrument
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Drum Motor vehicle Musical instrument

Attachments

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have a Martin Indiana tenor that I have just sent in for a repad and service. Here are some pictures showing some of the issues I’ve observed. The left hand thumb rest was small and uncomfortable, so I augmented it with some poster putty as a temporary fix. The bell C cup guard has been repaired before, but currently it doesn’t vent sufficiently for the D to play in tune.

Above all, the saxophone is just too musty to play. I dated it to around 1958–1961 with the help of the Cafe Saxophone post linked above. It appears the majority of the pads, lacking resonators, have never been replaced. Some were replaced with overly-thick pads with domed plastic resonators. The pads will be replaced with flat metal resonator pads of the correct thickness. The old pads, impregnated with the musty odor, actually sealed remarkably well despite their age. I was able to play down to low B flat with little trouble aside from the health hazards associated with the mustiness.
View attachment 143690
View attachment 143691
View attachment 143692
View attachment 143693 View attachment 143688
Looks very worthy of full repad Service. Tha wire guard on D needs some attention. What ?
compare some pictures and make adjustments as needed.
http://www.themartinstory.net/version7/Indiana/Indiana-79015-tenor-1.jpg
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Brass instrument

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Keys removed its time to remove springs and pads. Caddy is scrap of plastic. Get a starter hole going with a nail. Keep them sorted. Number on left is thickness (40=0,40mm) and length. #0-80 is screw size. Length is 1/8’.
Wood Font Jewellery Metal Fashion accessory

To remove the screw put a hole in your palm first.
Reptile Scaled reptile Lizard Finger Terrestrial animal

Then put a nice gash in your finger.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Eyewear Wood Nail Jewellery Body jewelry

Next
Cover your vise with tape to prevent part scratches.
Watch Office equipment Machine Engineering Gadget

Then proceed to bend the key cup like a taco.
Gas Art Wood Automotive design Metal

If you press down hard enough you’ll master bending the hinge tube too !
Eyewear Wood Religious item Cross Table

After you’re done researching parts availability (and find none) . This is how you do the others.

part soaked in penetrant days before
Part solidly backed on rubber or wood block. Hold the part and turn screwdriver whilst moving the spring sideways simultaneously the same direction.
Wood Jewellery Metal Circle Fashion accessory

· Registered
57 Posts

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Did you mean the wire guard on C? Looking at this image, I see that wire guard is even worse than I thought.
Yes the wire guard on C. Where this mounts to the right on the bell side. There is lacquer loss at all three mounting points. No big deal. Just signs that it has been repaired previously. These things get knocked off easily. It’s not a cattleguard. Your technician should easily be able to sort things out.

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
All the pads are out.
Eyewear Font Gas Wood Circle

Pay attention to the key cups with recesses for the pearls. Sometimes you need to iron the back of the pad down some or grind a little off. Do not grind the key cup!
Wood Material property Personal protective equipment Metal Fashion accessory

Magnifier Wood Kitchen utensil Cosmetics Metal

Original factory installation. They used very little shellac.
Automotive tire Wood Circle Rim Font

before I removed the pads I noted any that were off-center. Sometimes a little adjustment can be made. I will do this during the dry fitting of the new pads.
Brown Wood Gas Circle Button

Random thickness check. Make sure the new pads are equal or a little thinner.
Calipers Gadget Camera accessory Measuring instrument Cameras & optics

Calipers Light Yellow Magnifier Material property

Camera accessory Reflex camera Font Gas Wood

anatomy of a pad. Leather, woven felt and cardboard back.
Wood Body jewelry Circle Metal Tree

Yeah these pads were old. The weather was very dry and easily ripped by hand.
Hat Sun hat Wood Headgear Tire

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
While the cups were still hot. I gave them a courtesy wipe to remove any old shellac. Keep the face of the key cup on a clean towel while wiping with a disposable rag. This prevents melting any shellac on the front of the key cup. A mess you don’t want to be cleaning up !
Finger Jewellery Currency Button Artifact

after cleaning I made sure the cups were flat and round. A quick review to see that they were parallel with the hinge tube.
Wood Gas Metal Fashion accessory Bronze

Bicycle handlebar Material property Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior

Next I straightened the high E key. This wasn’t very bad so I used my small vice lined with tape. A gentle squeeze at right angles brought it true. Sometimes rotating works. It’s all a judgment call. Some of these tubes are hollow. Gentle squeeze don’t smash!
Automotive tire Wood Floor Gas Flooring

Automotive tire Wheel Tire Wood Motor vehicle

Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Tints and shades Wood

next I wrote the sizes down inside the cups and made a list. Make sure you count the cups. Don’t forget the neck octave or body octave! The count can be 24 to 26.
Metal Eyewear Font Jewellery Fashion accessory

Handwriting Rectangle Font Paper Paper product

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Before washing the key work. I ran a pipe cleaner through all the hinge tubes with a little lighter (zippo) fluid. Everything goes in a wash bucket with cold water and Dawn dish soap. this is also safe for silver plate. Don’t use Palmolive or others with bisulfate. It will turn the silver black !!!
Gold Twig Gas Art Metal

Rinse well and pat everything dry. Be careful not to snag the towel on any spring cradles. Blow the hinge tubes out with compressed air or by mouth. No you don’t have to put your mouth on the end🤦‍♂️ I like to finish drying with a hair dryer set on high blow and medium temperature. If you can’t hold your hand in front of it it’s too hot.
Textile Fluid Liquid Material property Tints and shades

Time to straighten the cloth guard. Same technique as used for the side E. Although I did use a flat jewelers anvil to check parallel. Final fit done after I straighten the wire guard on the bell.
Bottle Wood Gas Font Flooring
Wood Machine tool Gas Cylinder Machine

Wood Gas Office ruler Cylinder Machine

Wood Gas Machine Office ruler Auto part

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Keywork prepared it’s time to work on the body. Just like the keys I cleaned every post with a pipe cleaner and lighter fluid. In the wash sink with Dawn dish soap I let it soak for about a half hour. Occasionally agitating and brushing with a very soft brush. Depending on the Saxophone some you can let soak for hours and others you better not. Lacquer loss being the issue.
Musical instrument Wind instrument Yellow Brass instrument Reed instrument

Human body Wind instrument Musical instrument Yellow Reed instrument

While the body was soaking I cleaned the hinge rods. I can hear some of viewers whimpering. They’re all different sizes. Don’t worry. It only goes together one way!
All by hand using 000 extra fine steel wool. Sanding/polishing using a bench motor/drill motor only removes metal. Don’t forget to clean the screw slots!
Tool Office supplies Household hardware Electric blue Metal

Yellow Electric blue Office supplies Close-up Pattern

Do keep all the pivot screws in sequence. They are all the same and long-term ware will vari.
Wood Musical instrument Audio equipment Art Font

Unlike the key work I use compressed air to blow everything off. Especially around where the springs are inserted into the posts. I do finish with a warm blow from the hairdryer. Make sure everything is good and dry. Then apply a little WD-40 to the springs to prevent rust. Use a Q-tip as an applicator.
Musical instrument Brass instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Yellow

Old polish often does not come out in the wash. Detail these areas with a very fine soft toothbrush. Be careful not to be too aggressive. You’ll end up with swirl marks all around the part.
Musical instrument Gas Metal Close-up Household hardware

bottom of the bowl came out nice and clean. That solder spot should be there. It’s plugging a hole in the bottom of the bow. Typical of Martin’s.
Jaw Nerve Eyelash Close-up Art
Musical instrument Rectangle Gold Font Wind instrument

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Time to do some dent work and straighten the wire guards.
Before and after pictures. this is extremely difficult to photograph. Doesn’t show much.
The wire guard at top towards the bell was pushed in quite a bit.
Musical instrument Gas Music Wind instrument Brass instrument

Gold Gas Wood Tints and shades Automotive design
Amber Wood Yellow Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wood Amber Automotive exterior Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Amber Automotive tire Metal Automotive exterior
Musical instrument Light Automotive lighting Stovetop kettle Helmet
Tableware Fluid Sculpture Yellow Automotive lighting
Light Yellow Fluid Serveware Wind instrument
Liquid Drinkware Fluid Serveware Barware

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I have a couple thousand pads on hand. I’m going with what was originally installed. Rivets keep that great Martin sound. If you haven’t played one on rivets you’ll be surprised !
Wood Staple food Cuisine Metal Flooring

Packing materials Food Plastic bag Plastic wrap Plastic

This is how rivets are installed when needed.
Table Gas Wood Machine Automotive tire

Gas Circle Metal Drilling Nickel

Pads selected I’m now ready to check tone holes for level and do a dry fit of the keywork & pads
Purple Art Circle Technology Pattern

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Prior to dismantling I did check the body tube for straightness. This is done by looking in the end of the receiver down the walls of the tube. Little to no curvature should be visible. Quite normal to see some curvature where the body to Bell brace is. That’s mostly where they bend. Secondly I check across the tone holes with a straight edge once dismantled. If the stacks don’t bind leave it alone.

Martins have really stout tone holes. I only needed to adjust the two on the bell where the wire guard had been bent. No surprise. I use grade 8 washers that have been machined perfectly flat on my lathe to check level. I don’t file unless absolutely necessary. Burnish down the high spots. You can only remove the metal once ! The red lifter pictured below I made on my 3-D printer.
Musical instrument Table Wind instrument Brass instrument Metal

Next I sorted the rods to their respective locations. The long ones are easy as no two or close to the same size. The little ones are a little more challenging. Measure the length starting with the longest. Then check the distance on the mounting posts. Match accordingly. these were all the same diameter and enough difference in the length to easily match location.
Font Electronic device Microcassette Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory

not long enough
Calipers Musical instrument Wind instrument Measuring instrument Auto part

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Music

2,011 Posts
Great thread really enjoying it.

Is that a “portable” vise? Looks like you’ve got it mounted on a board and can move it around? This is a great idea and just solved part of a where-to-put-a-vise problem I have.

I have a couple thousand pads on hand. I’m going with what was originally installed. Rivets keep that great Martin sound. If you haven’t played one on rivets you’ll be surprised !
My Committee I alto has rivet pads and I intend to keep it that way.

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Great thread really enjoying it.

Is that a “portable” vise? Looks like you’ve got it mounted on a board and can move it around? This is a great idea and just solved part of a where-to-put-a-vise problem I have.

My Committee I alto has rivet pads and I intend to keep it that way.
Thanks ! Glad you’re enjoying the thread.
Necessity being the mother of invention. Yeah it’s mounted on a plank with three big wood screws from a door hinge.
This is a old Yankee vise I acquired at a yard sale for $10. Smooth jaws and a quick release pivoting base.
Gas Machine tool Machine Auto part Office equipment

9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I decided before doing the dry pad fit to check the neck fit. wasn’t really bad. The thumbscrew at 1/4 turn did lock it in place. Still a little room for improvement. I started with some blue marking die and measurements.
Musical instrument Drinkware Wind instrument Brass instrument Wood

It was a little low on the front/bell side. Using extreme caution I rolled just the back some making sure it stayed round.
Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Saxophone

Once I got it exactly where I wanted I checked contact. Three bands of marking die around the tenon and pushed straight in. I knew I was close. I couldn’t cote the part like in the first picture. It just wouldn’t go with that thick of a layer.
Product Cylinder Metal Electric blue Fashion accessory

Product Cylinder Household hardware Auto part Metal

Measuring up and down and then down the sides to make sure it wasn’t tapered.
Calipers Measuring instrument Bullet Gun accessory Metal
Calipers Measuring instrument Material property Font Auto part

measurement from inside the receiver.
Font Bullet Calipers Tool Metal

It’s snug dry. With a drop of oil glides on no problem. rotates all the way around without any tight spots or loose spots. Time to leave it alone and leak test. I placed a rubber stopper in the receiver. Installed the neck. With my finger over the PIP I could blow or suck until my ears wiggled. It’s good👍
Household hardware Metal Silver Tool Fashion accessory

Camera lens Digital camera Camera accessory Reflex camera Cameras & optics

41 - 60 of 108 Posts