Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@CharlieOregon sent me his early 1960’s RMC Martin Indiana alto to do a educational thread. He is the original owner. Hopefully he will chime in and tell us of it’s journey. It started with many months of doing a newspaper route to earn the money….

Overall it‘s in good shape. No signs of damage or poor maintenance.
Musical instrument Wind instrument Music Sleeve Woodwind instrument
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Tire Musical instrument

Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Bicycle tire Fender

Orginal Samsonite case.
Rectangle Book Art Musical instrument Font

6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After a few minutes of reviewing I thought I could get it to play. I didn’t expect much. Pads have seen better days.
A little penetrant oil on all moving parts. I do this on all the old dry ones anyway. Good pre dissembling habit. Let soak a few days.
A felt was missing under the ”A” touch. Installed a used one for test playing.
Photograph Light Cuisine Drinkware Red

A couple of palm keys didn’t look real rosie but passed the leak light test. The low Eb had seen better days.
Tableware Wood Cuisine Ingredient Gas

A cellophane wrap did no good. Next option…..
Light Motor vehicle Vehicle Red Steering wheel

Covering the tonehole with tape was considered but I have a box of old smelly pads for the task. Looking at the backside of this old installation makes you wonder. Was there a shellac shortage?
Circle Kitchen utensil Metal Wood Font

Old pad in and leak free. Time to test play !
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument

Didn’t play all that bad.
First one of these I’ve played. Good Martin as usual. I have 6 Vintage Martins. This will be a fun one when done.
Communication Device Gadget Font Screenshot Portable communications device

2,013 Posts
I used to have an Indiana almost exactly like this one except it didn’t have the RMC engraving. Guess it was from a little earlier. It replaced my first horn, which was a ‘50s student Noblet. The Noblet was actually pretty good and built like a tank, but the Indiana really outclassed it. It was a swell horn.

6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to have an Indiana almost exactly like this one except it didn’t have the RMC engraving. Guess it was from a little earlier. It replaced my first horn, which was a ‘50s student Noblet. The Noblet was actually pretty good and built like a tank, but the Indiana really outclassed it. It was a swell horn.
Thank you . This sax may be up for sale upon completion. The proceeds going to charity.

Any SOTW members that have instruments they’re sitting on,but are reluctant to attempt servicing. Join in if you would like. Post your sax and participate along. I don’t care what it is or the condition. Keep in mind you own your mishaps and mistakes. I take no responsibility for broken parts. Fingers stabbed with springs. Hands stabbed with screwdrivers. The lacquer on a Bundy II burning. Melted shellac on your wife’s favorite tablecloth. Crooked neck cork. Burnt pads, pearls or burning your garage down.
Knowledge of tool use and shop safety is your responsibility.

6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Screwdriver 101.
A lot of damage occurs from using incorrect screwdrivers. Common beginner mistake. whatever you choose make sure it is the right width and thickness. A screwdriver with two steep of a blade angle will wedge a hinge rod into the post. Too wide it will ruin the face and opening of the post. One the correct tip size and about 8 inches long will do. A 4” & 10-12” is also nice to have.
When I screw does not turn easily STOP ! Figure out why!
Rust, bent/damaged, side locking set screw, head wedged into post or frozen in hinge tube. All are frequent issues on older or unmaintained units.
Light Silver Cutlery Interior design Grey

Water Liquid Plumbing fitting Fluid Plumbing

A spring hook, smooth face pliers, heat source, magnifying hood and good lighting help immensely.
Wood Rectangle Linens Musical instrument accessory Font
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Musical instrument Motor vehicle Rim

Tints and shades Sky Wood Auto part Metal

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

Gesture Grey Silver Collar Cutlery

Tableware Motor vehicle Kitchen utensil Hood Gas

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
ALTO: Medusa- 82zii, TENOR: Medusa, BARI: b901, SOP: sc991
8,076 Posts
Maybe you can give some more information about your tuning app and how you use it. I can see that the symbols indicate whether a note is sharp or flat but what do the various symbols mean?

6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Maybe you can give some more information about your tuning app and how you use it. I can see that the symbols indicate whether a note is sharp or flat but what do the various symbols mean?
Symbols ? The colors? Sharp or flat to graph the time each note was played and how well in tune. Overall performance is the top bar. The tuning range sensitivity is adjustable. Wide is +/- 5 cents, medium is +/-3 cents, fine +/-2cents, ultra fine +/- 1 cent. I usually start on medium.
The app allows you to put notes in for each instrument played. Then restart the session so you can record after making adjustments. I can go back and access records of everything I played back to January 2018.
Font Screenshot Technology Gadget Electronic device

· Registered
673 Posts
Screwdriver 101.
A lot of damage occurs from using incorrect screwdrivers. Common beginner mistake. whatever you choose make sure it is the right width and thickness. A screwdriver with two steep of a blade angle will wedge a hinge rod into the post. Too wide it will ruin the face and opening of the post. One the correct tip size and about 8 inches long will do. A 4” & 10-12” is also nice to have.
When I screw does not turn easily STOP ! Figure out why!
Rust, bent/damaged, side locking set screw, head wedged into post or frozen in hinge tube. All are frequent issues on older or unmaintained units.
View attachment 143271
View attachment 143272
A spring hook, smooth face pliers, heat source, magnifying hood and good lighting help immensely. View attachment 143275 View attachment 143276
View attachment 143274
View attachment 143273
View attachment 143277
View attachment 143278
After reading how in-depth an overhaul is, I’ll leave my conn overhaul to the pro’s

· Registered
oh. Dad. ANOTHER one? You haven't gotten the first one back together yet!
57 Posts
Symbols ? The colors? Sharp or flat to graph the time each note was played and how well in tune. Overall performance is the top bar. The tuning range sensitivity is adjustable. Wide is +/- 5 cents, medium is +/-3 cents, fine +/-2cents, ultra fine +/- 1 cent. I usually start on medium.
The app allows you to put notes in for each instrument played. Then restart the session so you can record after making adjustments. I can go back and access records of everything I played back to January 2018.
One last question: What's it called?

Thanks for doing this! Especially the intonation checks-
I've gotten to about that point, and it's a little daunting...

t

6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After reviewing a couple times you’ll see different things that may or may not need attention. Do your homework so you know if something needs attention. Ask questions! Be patient.
I normally photograph the entire Saxophone. Front, back, right, left, top in detail.

Bent hinge tube on this key. Do you see what else needs attention in this picture?
Musical instrument Motor vehicle Finger Automotive lighting Brass instrument

If you didn’t see it in the picture above. The hinge rod to the front F fork link is tad long. Nothing really wrong with it. The threaded portion fits correctly. Better long than to short.
The shopping list of repairs begins.
Household hardware Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Metal

The cloth guard needs attention. Look beyond the ruler….
Glasses Musical instrument Product Purple Font

I can see the wires are bent but how much? Anyone have a picture of one that’s straight?
I haven’t worked on this model before. It’s similar to a Martin committee. It’s unsafe to assume. The alignment of a cloth guard may not seem like much. Martins have pretty stout tone holes (aka,chimneys, sockets). On a Conn without rolled tone holes this could mean the face of the chimney may not be level. Gently close the key and check with a leak light. If there’s no leak and you do some straightening. Anticipate a leak !
Photograph Purple Brass instrument Wind instrument Magenta

I love what I’m seeing. This Sax did some serious battle. No show all go, It’s been maintained well. Nothing loose! See the cork on low C# & fork on F#. Not one pad leak in the area. Regulation still spot on.
eyes open. The upper stack hinge rod must be dry. It’s beginning to unscrew itself. Look to the left of the picture. Left of side F#.
Note body to bell brace is straight and no damage on either side.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Brass instrument

6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here’s a diagram to study from. Keep in mind that each saxophone is different. Especially when you’re working on a vintage unit. There may be keys in this diagram that don’t exist. Or you may have a “Split Bell” ect.
Font Rectangle Parallel Terrestrial plant Plan
Handwriting Font Parallel Art Monochrome

6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Look down inside the body tube. It’s quite common for a body tube to be bent. Usually where the body to bow brace is. Somewhere around F# to G.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Font Auto part

looking straight down inside on the front side and then the backside. A little curve is quite common. You don’t want a banana! If your key work is binding this could be the issue.
Liquid Fluid Gas Circle Glass

Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting Gas Auto part

It’s also possible for a bell to be out of alignment with the body.
Musical instrument Wood Personal protective equipment Metal Event

Anyone exploring a Martin bow may find a hole in the bottom. This is normal. Although this unit it has been plugged.
Liquid Dishware Fluid Organism Circle

Attachments

· Premium Member
Alto and Tenor, prefer Martins Began playing March 2022
357 Posts
I bought an Indiana tenor and discovered that it has been beat to H E double hocky sticks. I still don't have it back together but have all of the parts. It will be interesting to see if I can make it play. Somewhere along the lines I have lost a spring that must have fallen out. I may need to ask for some of your expertise and I will keep mining your threads for info.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts