Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1934 or 35 Martin Imperial Tenor in pretty nice shape that has been repadded. Serial # is 106835 Low Pitch. I am just looking for some guidance on selling it. I would like to see it used again. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,885 Posts
Nice horns but they don’t generally go for a lot of money I have seen them going in private sales for around $750 tops, shops may ask more.

You should really publish pictures

·
Registered
A: 1939 king Zephyr A+T: Martin HC 1 B: 1934 Martin Imperial 1973 Buffet SDA low-A
261 Posts
The imperial is a bit of tough sell because of the short run, obscurity, and confusion with the later imperial which was not a pro horn

These are a transitional model and share much of their DNA with the later Committee I horns. However, The are going to go for a discount over what a similar Committee I will go for. If you are looking to sell the horn you are going to need to educate the buyer.

If you read through (and believe) the Martin advertising literature (see link) the alto and tenor have a new bore design and the Bari was complete redesigned. I doubt seriously they redesigned the bore in 1934 the imperial and then again in 1935. These horns also have the solid nickel key work.

The big evolution from the Imperial to the Committee I

1. Left pinky table
2. Switch from bevel tone holes to the tapers ones
3. Removal of the fork EB
4. Cooler engraving on the Committee I - sounds trite but this IMHO is the coolest engraving ever on a horn.
5. Teardrop versus petal on side F#
On #1 my imperial Bari has identical left pinky table to a committee 1. The rest of these innovations are more aesthetic than functional.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have someone interested in the sax. It has most of the original lacquer, new case and has been re-padded. Would a $1000.00 be a fair price? Thanks for the info and your time to respond.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts