Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for lack of better words.... PERFECT.

Perfect intonation, perfect in tune and with a HUGE sound and clear projection.... The best I have played.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful horn, congratulations.
Have you used the same material for the pearl button that you used on your hand made piece?.-
Yes - its legal ivory, and yes I have a permit for it :) I know many people are against the use of ivory, but I know for a fact that this whale died of old age and washed up on a beach peacefully in Norway where my Friend Kay has a government permit to collect the whale tooth - well It matters to me :)

And I think the horn gets a unique look to it - and its a wonderful material to work in.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lucky you. Someday I would love to own a similar instrument. :)
I hope for your sake that you do - I read a lot of good things about the Martin horns, and must say, they are not only excellent craftsmanship - but also very very good instruments. I added my sharkskin technique to the tone holes internal walls and it certainly did not make things worse in terms of tonal dynamics.

I am currently doing a resurface job on a Selmer Mrk VI soprano serial 63.xxx and compared to the Martin Handcraft soprano its only about 90 grams lighter, so the thing about Martins being way to heavy.... ???

I wanted to keep the soprano as close to the original finish as possible, so I glass blasted the surface back to its original finish - I think it represents a design era that is very interesting. Well that was before having it gold plated.

Well thanks a lot for the kind words on the finished result - it has been a lot of fun rebuilding it - and I hope it will live for another 86 years :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts