Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I consider to buy a Martin Handcraft (1929) alto. The neck looks orignial, but there isn’t a serial number stamped on it. I’ve seen pictures of other Handcraft’s with serial numbers on the neck. Did the company do both things when they produced saxophones, or is is it possible that this is a non-original neck?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi! I have a 1929 alto with serial number on the neck. It may have been a mistake, too. Replacement neck is tricky, because Martin necks tend to be shorter. Does the neck look like other Martin necks from that era? (You can look at pictures on the 'Martin story' website or I can try to upload a picture of mine.)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi! I have a 1929 alto with serial number on the neck. It may have been a mistake, too. Replacement neck is tricky, because Martin necks tend to be shorter. Does the neck look like other Martin necks from that era? (You can look at pictures on the 'Martin story' website or I can try to upload a picture of mine.)
OK, I made an album with two pictures of the neck. Let me know if it is not visible or if you need a picture from another angle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
Gulo, you could easily have just posted the photos to this thread (go to reply window, click 'advanced' button below it, then on next page scroll down to attachments.

Yours looks like a Handcraft neck. It is possible that the tenon was replaced at some point. It is also possible that it is original, and the serial #'s only started being stamped after a certain year....

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yours looks like a Handcraft neck. It is possible that the tenon was replaced at some point. It is also possible that it is original, and the serial #'s only started being stamped after a certain year....
Two problems with the comments above. The SN is not on the tenon but in the connector ring above it and (2) there is a SN on the neck of my 1920 Handcraft.

I presume this is the same Imperial alto inquired about in the Facebook Martin group. Same comment as I made there - it looks like an original Imperial alto neck. It is possible that it is a factory replacement, repairs including the connector ring or just a factory anomaly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Gulo, you could easily have just posted the photos to this thread (go to reply window, click 'advanced' button below it, then on next page scroll down to attachments.

Thanks for the info. I tried, but I did not see the ‘advanced’ button...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts