Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a Martin Handcraft tenor from a fellow SOTW'er as a project horn to restore. I want to use this as a kind of log to keep track of the progress of the overhaul, with pictures. This may belong in the repair section, but I figure it might get better attention from the Martin fans out there.

As is the horn needs a good deal of work. Dents, bent body, most (if not all) of the tone holes will be re-soldered, by the time I'm done with all the soldering the lacquer will probably be toast so I'll be stripping it and either leaving it bare brass or giving it a matte with clear lacquer finish, new Kraus super stainless steel springs, white roo pads with flat metal reso's, one or two keywork modifications, and the neck is pulled down and has a good sized dent. This horn will get the works, it's the largest project I've taken on so far, and I have a lot of hope for this horn!

Some Pics:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The overhaul will take some time as I have about a hour of spare time a day at the shop, but I'll post updates when I have them.

One more pic, enjoy!

-Scott

G

·
Wow, looks like a handful ! I just purchased a Handcraft Tenor yesterday on the Bay .
I was a little nervous about the shape it was in, but after looking at yours, I don't feel so bad.
I look forward to tracking your work (and stealing your ideas :D ) . I think I'll go a different
route for pads, probably tan Prestini's with flat metal resonators, or maybe Noyaks , can't decide.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
I like the brown plastic dome resonators best in Martins personally.

I have Noyaks in my Baritone, and it is a monster, but I think the other horns sound better with the afore mentioned resos.

Keep in mind that I use my horns for Jazz and Blues. For Rock and R&B, you may dig the "Hollywood" resos in your alto/tenor too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Use flat metal reso's.I have a h/c committee 1 with flats and it plays fine and is more in-keeping with a period horn. Plastic reso's look cheap
Dave

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to let you guys know, this project was put on hold while a few others came up with higher priority, but work on this tenor will resume next Tuesday. So far the bell and bow have been completely de-dented and toneholes resoldered, I'm very happy with how it came out. I'll have pictures sometime next week.

G

·
My project is more than on hold. The Ebay seller who I thought I had won the Handcraft Tenor from, played games endlessly. The final result is no sax for me ! Got my money back, but who cares. I wanted that sax . At least you already have one on hand. Good luck with the refurbish !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts