Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have the chance to aquire a Martin Handcraft (Imperial I think, The key guards and keywork are almost identical to those on my Comm. I bari) alto. The seller is asking $150 dollars for it, and it will need an overhaul. It needs pads, adjustment and some dent work. I had the chance to play it and loved the sound and the feel that I got when I played, even playing through all of the leaks. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience playing with these altos. Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If the alto is anything like my Handcraft Imperial tenor then I highly recommend it as a fun, loud, tone-full player.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
The HC Imperial is a good horn but to be sure it is the real deal, look for the extra small pad below the bottom D. This is the alternate Eb and is only on this model. A serial number would help. The later Imperials from the 70s are more like the Indianas.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
Cavcatcher11, don't you own a Martin Handcraft Searchlight bari? That horn should convince you to give a Martin alto a try. Martin altos from this era have warm darkish tone with an edge when pushed, and the best low register you will ever play in an alto. Try it; you will like it.
Sax Magic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts