Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool: Just recieved a 1926 Handcraft tenor that I bought off of Ebay. Silver finish is in near perfect condition. Someone bought this sax and put it away, just waiting for me to come along. All new pads, corks, and springs. Intonation is great and it has the clearest 4th line D I have ever heard on a tenor. Tried several brand of reeds and 3 mouthpieces. Mauriat #5, OttoLink STM NY #7 and a JJ DV #7. The Jody Jazz with a JAVA #3 was the best match but I believe it is to bright for this horn. I use a Morgan Jazz piece on my alto. Think I'll try Morgan on the Martin. Now for the negative part. The case is beat up and stinks inside. I need to replace it. Any suggestions on what fits these old tenors with the split bell. You Martin players, let me know what mouthpieces you find that appear to be a good match to the Martin. Thanks.:cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mouthpieces

Hi senior,
I’m a happy owner of a Martin Tenor Magna (1960) since last May. I’m using a OL STM 7* and Vandoren Java num. 3 reeds, and it sounds great to me.
I have not tried other mouthpieces. I came form playing a Yamaha YTS32 and the change in sound has been so, so, so, goooooooood, that I don’t feel any need to try other combinations by now.
Cheers!

Albert

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Senior - an ebonite Link gives a great sound on older Martin tenors, or a Berg, but I also use a Lawton 8*BB when I need more edge/cut.

The Martin 'bulk' is a bit too much for some tenor cases. I've a Berkeley shaped case that's a perfect fit - stayed with me through a "The Martin" tenor, and now holds my 30's Martin stencil, which seems to be based on your 20's Handcraft with a few changes (e.g. added front-F).

·
Registered
247 Posts
i had a brass martin handcraft of this approximate vintage for a few years. it was a terrific player--particularly huge, open sound in the upper register.

my mouthpiece collection is modest, and/but on tenor, i've found my j&d hite artist to work very well on several quite different instruments, and i found it to be a solid match for my old martin.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have a 1927 Martin Handcraft silver tenor. Although the HR Link is pretty nice, I like the HR Berg Larsen 100/1/M better.

And the sax fits in the hard-contoured ProTec case just fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 1926 Martin handcraft bare brass. An old Martin stock MP (sourced from the trading pages here) works just fine with it - even if it did cost $10!

I make do with a soft gig bag around the house, because the cost of importing an appropriate case to Oz is beyond my budget.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:cool: I got a Gator Gig bag from WWBW. It is a very good fit for my Martin. Tried 7 different mouthpieces with 4 brands of reeds. The mouthpiece that was the best fit between me and the horn, was a Morgan Jazz 8M. I like the sound I am getting. We'll see a few months down the line, if I still like it. The Morgan seemed to accept all the reeds and played them well. It is really good on my other Tenor also.:cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
How's the Handcraft going, Senior?

Moved on from the el cheapo mouthpiece to a vintage Brilhart Ebolin, which seems to suit mine very nicely.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:cool: I had to make some adjustments to the Octave key lingage. A sliver more cork and small twist to the rod that actually lifts the neck pad to get the upper register working right. Tried a few different reeds and MPS. Ended up with La Voz and Gonzalez reeds on a Morgan 8M jazz mouthpiece. Got a Gator band bag for it. Plays well and has a great sound. The only down side is Key ergonomics. Can not play this tenor and my Mauriat in the same day. Fingers get confused about where to put the left hand pinky finger.:D :D :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:cool: I used a sliver of cork to change the gap on the rod that lifts the octave pad. It was not raising the pad high enough. Also the neck had to be kept perfectly centered to the horn or the rod would open the pad when it was not supposed to be open. Hard to do on the horn because of key placement. Bending the rod 1/16th of an inch to the right, cleared that problem. I enjoy playing this sax but it is not my #1 tenor because of key ergonomics. Still, it is a keeper.:D :D :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Martin HC ? Series 2 Alto

I have to sell my newly overhauled silver/gold HC. Perfect condition recently overhauled by a master tech. I am unsure of its vintage (Has high F) and Gsharp trill, Is it a series II? What should I ask for as to value? Neck and body clean and perfect..rolled tone holes no damage or resodering anywhere. I need help ...Case is martin original but a little musty.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,036 Posts
If it has the front F, it is a series III. The serial number should be above about 80,000 approx. If the pads are good and the horn is a looker, I think it should bring about $600-700 on ebay from recent sales.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts