Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just got this beauty in the mail today, and although sadly it has a very nasty bent rod that affects the conector between the middle parts and thus not beeing able to play beneath C/G, it plays well at A 440.

Also, as tradition mandates, it comes with a reed on the mouthpiece, and voilá, an interesting reed. Makes me wonder how long its there and how long this clarinet hasn't been blown.

IMG_20191204_210240.jpg IMG_20191204_210128.jpg IMG_20191204_210119.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,538 Posts
You could start emai the company which is still out there ( although maybe it is only their name which was resuscitated since this is the address SALES: [email protected]
Melbourne, FL

)

MF-2013-Logos-300x269.jpg

http://martinfreres.net/brief-history/

FROM THEIR SITE

The Grand Prix was a limited edition clarinet produced c1906-1914 by Martin Freres to coincide with first Grand Prix racing in France. Unfortunately, we no longer have serial number to date-stamp data for such models so we cannot be certain of the exact data of manufacture. However, we can find no Grand Prix model advertisements after 1914.

There are many previous threads about this brand.

Probably following up one of those would have granted you more attention of all the people wom had answered before.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?197619-Martin-Freres-Victoire-clarinet-anyone-know-it

........and yet one can dig some info here or there

http://www.clarinetpages.net/vintage-odd-brands/martin-freres

I quote from this post from Mr. Mark Charette

http://test.woodwind.org/clarinet/BBoard/read.html?f=1&i=9481&t=9481

Martin freres WWI fl Paris c.1840-1927.

c.1840 established by the brothers Jean-Baptiste (b La Couture 26 January 1817: d Paris 22 August 1877), Claude Eugene (b La Couture 15 February 1819: d ibid 11 February 1874) and Felix (b La Couture 12 August 1821: d ibid 26 October 1896), with workshop at La Couture, show room in Paris; 1843 new clarinet ring-key mechanism; 1845 signatory of letter to War Ministry protesting about A. Sax; by 1885 succeeded as proprietor by Francois Jean Baptiste (b Paris 22 June 1862: d ibid 6 August 1923), listed as 'Martin freres J.-B. Martin succr.'; 1905 advertised use of steam-power; 1927 re-organized as 'SA des Anciens Ets. Martin' with Jean Martin proprietor. The marks 'Martin fils', 'J.F. Martin fils' have also been reported. Employed trade name 'Coudet'.

MARK:
[a] (bee) / MARTIN / * Freres * / A PARIS / MF monogram
[b: registered 1875) (bee) / MARTIN FRERES / (fermata) / A PARIS (in oval cartouche) / MF (monogram)
[c: p1927] JEAN MARTIN / A PARIS (in oval cartouche)

ADDRESS:
1840-46: rue de, Petit-Carreaux 2
1850-53: rue Montmartre 136
1855-56: rue Montmartre 134
1847-78: rue Jussienne 13
1885-90: 'Martin freres, J.-B. Martin succr.', rue de Turbigo 8
1895: ditto. rue de Turbigo 65
1900-pl923: ditto. rue de Turbigo 12

PATENT:
1843 (F) #15895 (Felix and Jean-Baptiste Martin): new F# key for flute. clarinet:
1886 (F) #173982: improved clarinet
1898 (F) #279590 (Francois Jean Baptiste Martin): 'Martinophone' (clarinet with new trill-key).
I have a Martin Freres "Philharmonic Deluxe" Bb clarinet which I restored fairly recently with very low expectations, but it turned out to be a wonderful player with spot-on intonation and a sound like some of the better R-13s. As with all of the Martin Freres I've worked on, though, the key plating was very rough. I also have a Martin Freres "Coudet" wood intermediate-grade bass clarinet that has some poor design features (neck length/shape and most of all, poorly sized and located vents for the throat Bb and register tube), but with those things fixed it too has a very nice sound and good intonation.

So, as noted, a mixed bag. Both of my instruments, I think, date from the 1950s-60s timeframe.
I have a Martin Freres (brothers) Coudet (cadet) Paris clarinet in my collection, and it isn't a bad intermediate quality wood horn at all. Certainly not junk.
It's quite dark in tone, with a pleasant degree of resistance to work against. Intonation is workable too. The keywork is not lacking vs. any other clarinet in this price category either.

Not in the same league as my Leblanc, Selmer and Buffet pro horns, but it wasn't marketed and priced as such either.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't searching for information related to the clarinet, don't know how you perceived it that way.

Anyway, thanks for the links, I'm sure it will help someone in the future reading this thread and looking for this type of clarinet.

Personally, I bought it knowing what it was.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,538 Posts
Hello,

Just got this beauty in the mail today, and although sadly it has a very nasty bent rod that affects the conector between the middle parts and thus not beeing able to play beneath C/G, it plays well at A 440.

Also, as tradition mandates, it comes with a reed on the mouthpiece, and voilá, an interesting reed. Makes me wonder how long its there and how long this clarinet hasn't been blown.
]

I wasn't searching for information related to the clarinet, don't know how you perceived it that way.

Anyway, thanks for the links, I'm sure it will help someone in the future reading this thread and looking for this type of clarinet.

Personally, I bought it knowing what it was.

It wasn’t really clear to me ( and I’ve read it several times) what you were saying in your post, most people ask information about things. You say you know about it , then I must, now, coclude that you only wanted to show your new purchase and that you actually had nothing to ask.

Ok, nice. Good luck!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, exactly :)

The last question was more rethorical, because those reeds of the Lefévre brand are very very old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts