Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
View attachment 225092

Maybe an Eb sopranino clarinet. I attached an old catalogue from the Martin Freres website. They're still in business, kind of. The original company went out of business in 1992 but a new company bought the name is producing clarinets under the name. The 1740 appellation apparently is for their high end clarinets. I only know this because I have an old hard rubber La Monte made by them. It's my first instrument that I got in 1962 when I was in 5th grade. I happened to be researching it earlier today. Coincidence.

http://martinfreres.net/clarinetcatalog/how-much-is-my-martin-freres-clarinet-worth/

Check out the site it has a lot of good historical information. If yours is pre-WWII it may be worth a lot. Cool find. Good luck with it. Mine on the other hand is in pretty rough shape and would be worth about $50 if I invested $300 to get it working. Not likely.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's almost certainly an E flat clarinet. They usually (always?) have a one-piece body, excluding the bell and barrel. If you could measure its length and post it here, that could be verified. E flat clarinets have been used by smaller children, but that's not the intent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts