Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !
I have this clarinet Martin & Frères where the body of the notes is in one section.
I usually see images with 2 sections on google but never seen a image of a clarinet having only one.
Would appreciate an explanation for this. Could this be a clarinet for children ?

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Musical instrument accessory
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Musical instrument accessory Woodwind instrument
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Clarinet family

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,629 Posts
Musical instrument Reed instrument flute White Reed

Maybe an Eb sopranino clarinet. I attached an old catalogue from the Martin Freres website. They're still in business, kind of. The original company went out of business in 1992 but a new company bought the name is producing clarinets under the name. The 1740 appellation apparently is for their high end clarinets. I only know this because I have an old hard rubber La Monte made by them. It's my first instrument that I got in 1962 when I was in 5th grade. I happened to be researching it earlier today. Coincidence.

http://martinfreres.net/clarinetcatalog/how-much-is-my-martin-freres-clarinet-worth/

Check out the site it has a lot of good historical information. If yours is pre-WWII it may be worth a lot. Cool find. Good luck with it. Mine on the other hand is in pretty rough shape and would be worth about $50 if I invested $300 to get it working. Not likely.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's almost certainly an E flat clarinet. They usually (always?) have a one-piece body, excluding the bell and barrel. If you could measure its length and post it here, that could be verified. E flat clarinets have been used by smaller children, but that's not the intent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts