Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,357 Posts
My guess is that it was made by the Indiana Band Inst. Co. after the Martin buyout. I have a 1933 Indian head one (Indiana) an dit looks similar but with the opposing bell keys and front alt. Eb. I would put it in the 1935-42 period. If the bell rings are fluted like the old Pontiac hood stripes, that would confirm this. I cannot tell in the photos. Many stencils thought to be from Martin were actually Indianas or Courturiers.

·
21,357 Posts
All IBIco horns had the beveled holes. I think that Martin bought them in 1928 but had some connection before that. Courturier was another company and was bought by Lyon & Healy around 1927. I have 2 L&H altos and a soprano which also look like a Martin BUT the bore is a bit larger. I really don't know how they play as they are still awaiting time to repad> I guess I will sell them!

·
21,357 Posts
Martin started the front F in 1928 with the HC series III and all had it after that. My 1933 Indiana does not have it but has an alt. Eb on the front and not the back.

·
21,357 Posts
1941 would be correct. I think themartinstory numbers are pretty accurate. It appears that the IBIco horns started the numbers from 1 when Martin bought them so there may be some pre 1928 numbers out there cluttering things up. My 1933 model is a real beauty but not worth much!
One place where I have been working with themartinstory is in overlapping models. It seems that there are Typewriters and Troubadors that are outside the accepted build years. I always watch ebay and try to identify abnormal numbers. I also have the second highest Martin number on an Imperial Alto from 1970. Again, a wonderfull horn that is not worth anything!
When you really get going, let me know and I will sell off one of my Typewriter altos with a nice finish. I try to have one of each model but have a few duplicates. Check out those gold plated HCs on saxpics. Really nice.

·
21,357 Posts
To add to the confusion, there are other brands with the same tone holes as the Martins. Early ELKHARTs (non-Buescher) and Courturier (which became Lyon & Healy) which built some for Holton.

·
21,357 Posts
The Pontiac is an american car made by General Motors. From about 1935-56 they had a strip of metal that was on the hood and trunk that had multiple stripes. Google 1950 Pontiac and you will see them.
That horn is an Indiana built horn probably from the mid 1930s. Nice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts