Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting used to my new baby--a Dick Stabile tenor--and I have a few questions for other Martin players.

1. Did you find the Eflat (RH) ket uncomfortably close to the D finger pad. I find in going down chromatically my pinky actually gets caught under the D key :shock:

2. Has any one had any particular trouble with the G/G# key sticking? Matt has suggested applying lemon oil, anybody else tried that?

3. Link STM vs Morgan 8L (unanswerable I know;) )?

Rory

·
Registered
268 Posts
I found the keywork to be really comfortable, though it could just be the weird shape of my hands and the fact that all the key tensions were set the way I like...:D

I don't think the sticking G/G# key is an inherent problem, this tenor was overhauled, then unfortunately I got really busy and it was unplayed for almost a month and a half. The dollar bill trick works for a temporary fix, and if it continues after a while, there are always all sorts of different pad treatments (or if you get really irritated like lots of SX-90R players, just change the pad with a Roo, though in this case that's probably overkill).

As for mouthpieces, I thought this sounded great with both my Link STM and Saxscape, they balanced out the well focused aspect of the horn well to my ears, though unfortunately I don't have a Morgan tenor mp to compare.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
My fingers must be crooked too, because the Eb is comfortable to me - does your horn have the adjustable thumbrest, which might help hand position?

I think all saxes can get sticky G#. Mine stays pretty good using occasional lighter fluid on a Q-tip, and keeping a dollar bill (only it's an old Italian 500L in my case) under the pad when not in use. Only problem is if you start to play without removing it.

Haven't tried a Morgan, but my standard Link delivers the goods from whisper-quiet subtones to... quite loud.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts