Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Martin experts -
I dropped off my recently acquired Martin Comm III with my tech this morning for a repad and some setup work. I've got a few days (early next week) before he gets around to it but I was hoping that anybody with experience having one of these horns repadded could chime in with some recommendations. My inclination is to go with just rivets ... but I'm undecided on specific pads. Anything that folks have found paired particularly with the horn? I believe I recall reading somewhere on the forum that these horns originally had slightly thinner pads ... but ultimately looking to be able to intelligently discuss options with my tech. And yes, I trust his opinion/thoughts (we will talk more this weekend) but also feel it doesn't hurt to get other opinions. Thanks in advance!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,885 Posts
The one I bought has black Roo pads on it with those HUGE metal noyek resonators. It is quite the pairing.

·
8,575 Posts
I have Black Roos on one of mine and Music Medic pad’s on the other.
Both have metal resonators.
I’d go with the pads that your tech typically works with though as long as they are of decent quality.
I have also read somewhere about thinner pads but I doubt it would make a huge difference apart from possibly making it easier to adjust them if keys have not been bent or adjusted since the horn was new.
This is unlikely though.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,357 Posts
When you first got the Martin, I remember you said that it really fit the sound you were looking for. If that's the case, shouldn't you just go with the same pads/resonators that it came with when you got it? I seems to me that change makes sense when you don't like what you have....but not when you do like what you have.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mijderf ... you are absolutely correct. I'm no expert and have no idea how old the current pads are and/or what the current equivalent maybe. Perhaps it's just as easy as telling my tech to make it identical to whats on there now? I didn't know if that was a safe assumption to make ... the horn is from 48-49 and i simply don't know what i don't know ... with the exception that I love the tone and think a trip to the tech wouldn't hurt this 70+year old horn.
I've got music medic on the Big B I've currently got for sale ... those seem quite nice. And that sounds like two quick recommendations on the roos.
Ultimately, mijderf is correct though ... I should probably identify whats on the horn currently.
Edit- just rivets on the horn now, no resos.

·
4,885 Posts
Roo pads are a safe bet, and if you like the way it sounds with rivets I'd probably go that route. The giant metal resos on mine (I assume it makes a difference?) and it is LOUD/HUGE tonally. If the ergos were better I'd play it more.

·
8,575 Posts
I just realised that the one with roo pads has plastic slightly domed reso’s.
This one also seems to have a slightly bigger sound, but I think that might be due to the more open key heights and the fact that the pad work was done by a great tech.
Both sound great though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buddy and Bflat ... we're these the setups you've always had on your Martin's (ie, did you perhaps A/B rivets vs metal resonators vs domed plastic) or did you start with something else and deliberately move the directions you went (vs ... that's what was on the horn when you bought).

·
8,575 Posts
The Martin with Roos came that way to me.
The other one had the original rivet pads when I got it.
It wasn't possible to compare the before and after effects as it was barely playable when I got it.
Certainly plays better now.

·
4,885 Posts
Buddy and Bflat ... we're these the setups you've always had on your Martin's (ie, did you perhaps A/B rivets vs metal resonators vs domed plastic) or did you start with something else and deliberately move the directions you went (vs ... that's what was on the horn when you bought).
I bought my horn a year ago, and that is what was on it, so I have no idea what difference the resos would make per se.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
For my 1920 handcraft tenor, I used plain rivet pads bc I wanted something close to the period. If you go with rivets, it will be fine. They are not too dull. But for my '54 C3 tenor, I used MusicMedic with flat resos which were not standard on Martins but we're on Kings. Because of the perception players have of rivet pads, it is probably a good idea to use a reso pad if there is any chance that you will be selling in the future. Same logic for using 'Roo pads.

You are correct that thickness is important. While MM thick pads (which are thinner than other brands) worked fine on the older Martins, the lower stack of the C3 was difficult to get right. It exhibited the common problem of closing up on the back and leaking at the front of the tone hole. Its tight now but one of these days, I'll redo the lower stack.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My 153xxx Comm III is in the shop for a repad now. The tech suggested some softer pads to minimize my cost since they would be more forgiving, and hence there would be less need for tone hole leveling. I told him to go with the pad as close to the original Martin pad he could find. I'm less concerned about the resonator material or size than I am about the the thickness and the firmness. I really don't like any pads that feel like marshmallows on any sax. I'd much rather pay extra to have the tone holes leveled properly, and the extra time to get them seated and the openings dialed in. I doubt this horn, due to its near-new condition and the fact the tone holes are are soldered, will need much leveling anyway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stuart - perhaps a silly queation, but what is the perception players have of rivet pads ... can you expand on that? God knows I've thought I found "the one" before so I suppose it's not unreasonable to consider the possibility of a future sale.
Claxton - id be really interested in hearing what your tech ends up going with as a "as close to the original as possible" option. If you have the opportunity, please post a follow up. And yep, I am with you on the "marshmallows".
Thanks to all that have chimed in - much appreciated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought mine from Philip Cheek, in Australia, who is a member here, at sotw. I asked philip to repad it for me and he suggested black roo pads. They seem great to me, but I’d have to play the same horn with different pads to notice the difference.

There are so many variables between horns anyway, that i wouldn’t have thought pads made that much difference. I guess the important thing is quality- you want them to last.

·
Registered
726 Posts
mine came with domed metal resos and leather pads - sounded good. for these horns, i think the most important consideration is pad thickness - you want thinner pads - at least that is what i remember being told by my tech.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,612 Posts
Here’s a video by Matt Stohrer to reveal the intimate details of setting up a Comm III.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Stuart - perhaps a silly queation, but what is the perception players have of rivet pads ... can you expand on that? God knows I've thought I found "the one" before so I suppose it's not unreasonable to consider the possibility of a future sale.
I know it's just a generalization but I think many players believe that non-reso pads make the tone dull. The best way to get a feel for what I am saying is to read comments from people who have put did 'deluxe' resonators on their horns.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi everyone!

I hope it is OK to re-open this thread. Having read the answers to the original question, mine is a bit specific: I have a Committee III tenor, currently with rivets, very quiet but sweet sound. I use a Pomarico 3 mouthpiece (tip opening is 2,10 mm) which I love and intend to keep (unless I break it...). The combination is really neighbour-friendly, maybe too neighbour-friendly. It will need a full repad soon and I was wondering if I should go for metal resonators to have more range in volume or would that also affect the sound quality?

Thanks in advance.
GG

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,178 Posts
I prefer the thin Selmer style pads with brown plastic resos on a Martin. The one time I used metal resos on a split bell Martin Alto the tone became more brash and bright than I cared for, losing the dark warm tone I liked about the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,642 Posts
The one I bought has black Roo pads on it with those HUGE metal noyek resonators. It is quite the pairing.
Ditto. I have black Roos on both my Martins and would go with them again (and again if I live long enough). I use rivetless domed resonators just because I like the simple look. Plastic looks cheap to me, and since I don't believe that material matters, I go with metal.

It would drive me crazy (or I would be crazy) to think that a rivet in the middle of the resonator, or plastic as opposed to metal, was changing my sound to the point that I had lost control of it. If I develop a neurosis, I'd rather wash my hands 50 times a day.

Mark

1 - 20 of 33 Posts