Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping this is the right area,

I just got my Martin C sax, and under the "Martin" It saids "Hombright" I think, it's hard to read. I don't think it's a stencil sense it's not on any Marti list online. Any idea what it is/means?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
Handcraft. Go to themartinstory.net for more info.
These are pretty good C Melodies. I have a gold plated one and it is a nice addition to the other 20 Martins I have.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Handcraft. Go to themartinstory.net for more info.
These are pretty good C Melodies. I have a gold plated one and it is a nice addition to the other 20 Martins I have.
Bruce.
Having experience of only Buescher, King & Conn C tenors I was somewhat surprised to see that you regard the Martin as "quite good".
We all have our own peculiar preferences, but I cannot help but wonder which you regard as very good...or even the best.
Currently there is a 1929 Martin C tenor winging it's way to me from the Americas & I will be disappointed if it transpires to be merely "quite good".

·
21,290 Posts
I had a Buescher and currently have 3 Conns, a Holton needing pads and a nice gold plated Martin. The Martin seems to be better in that it is evenly responsive in all the registers. An even sound when playing intervals and not a lot of stuffy notes. The Conns have a better playing position but somehow the Martin still impresses me with the overall concept of a C Melody that is not an alto and not a tenor.

·
6,715 Posts
More than just quite good then. :bluewink:
Your collection of three Conns & a Holton clearly shew me that your taste is biased towards a sweet sound....my concept of desired sound differs.
I will agree that the Conn has the best ergonomics.
Thanks for the clarification.

·
21,290 Posts
Actuall I never wanted the Conns but 3 really nice ones came along about a year ago. An original silver with gold plated keys (one very small ding at the bow top), a satin gold original and a redone Virtuoso full pearl with new pads. Couldn't say no!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've owned and Aquilasax, Buescher, Conn and Martin. The Conn has the best ergonomics and an alto tone, the Martin has the best tone for jazz but terrible ergonomics, the Buescher has the closest to a tenor tone and okay ergonomics. The Aquilasax is a poor cousin to the Conn. The tone is much thinner and even though the ergonomics are "improved" I found them slightly wrong for my size large hands.

I'm rebuilding my late model Buescher (with the bar G# key) and when it is done will send it to battle with my late model Conn (with the nail file G# key). I think the Buescher is going to win because I want a tenor tone rather than an alto tone.

·
6,715 Posts
dvdberg.
Wholehearted agreement with all that.
I too require a C tenor to be tenor-like rather than an alto with extended range.
Hence the reason for buying a Martin.
Sorry to hear that you find the ergonomics as "terrible"....mine, being a "Typewriter" will, in all probability, be worse....time will tell.
You describe your hands as large whereas mine are standard, so perhaps my horn, in my hands, will be perfect....no-one goes to the trouble of making a horn with the key-work & touch pearls unsuitable for everyone.....there must be a via media.
I went to considerable trouble rebuilding and modifying a Conn...this was to be "My Horn". Disappointed with the alto sound it was immediately sold.
However, this does serve to shew the range of sounds available from the C tenor....at least we have the choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi to all (great/knowledge experience here!): I have a chance to purchase either a Buescher C melody (original unlacquered) or a silver Martin C melody. Both are in need of complete repad/restore. Any advice on which would be the better "bet" between the two? I want to play some Bix/Frankie, and Jack Pettis tunes. I'm mainly a tenor/soprano player-just getting into this style, after 40 years!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts