Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Martin c-melody sax after my father purchased it for me on eBay when it was mislabeled as a tenor saxophone. He got if for me for my birthday when I was in high school. We had the pads replaced, and the silver plating and brass in the bell is almost immaculate. It cam with the original case, neck, mouthpiece, mouthpiece cap. Everything in these pictures are the originals that came with the sax except for the ligature. The woman we purchased it from had it in her family for years but was only able to trace the year of the saxophone to between 1914 and 1919. I also tried to find it's year but the recorded serial numbers begin at 1919, leaving a five year gap after production began in 1914. So, I only know for sure that it is older than 1919. I also have not been able to find one as old as mine so far. Any information about my saxophone that you all might have would be great! I have tried everywhere I can think of and have come up with nothing new. If none, that's okay too. I'm happy to share my story and my pictures.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
873 Posts
I looked through my notes to see what the lowest-serial-numbered Martin sax I've seen was, and it turns out it's yours. I must've come across it on eBay around the same time you got it.

The early years of Martin are especially poorly documented, and I think 90% of the information out there was copied from the same questionable decades-old source. Even Martin's own history from old publications is vague.

That said - Dr. Rick's serial number chart, which has exact dates for each serial number, indicates that 17221 was December 1919, and 19482 was November 1920. It's hard to extrapolate annual production when sales growth was so significant in subsequent years, but based on that it's likely that your sax was built in 1918 or 1919.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That's the most information I've gotten about it so far. Everyone always tells me it's the lowest serial number they've seen but can offer little information beyond that. I know that C-melody saxophones are not particularly valuable, so I'm glad I enjoy playing the one I have. I honestly couldn't even begin to put a value to it. Not because of sentimental value, I just wouldn't know where to start.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Did I see something missing? ie. No bevelled tone holes? ie. When did Martin begin doing those? Interesting (but I also suspect, not valuable)...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
873 Posts
Martin didn't start beveling the toneholes until about 1921.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts