Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering overhauling my 1962 Martin Bari. It's the only bari I've ever owned and have never had any major work done to it. Does anyone have a recommended setup for these? It currently has large domed plastic resonators - I like the tone - but do people commonly set these up with metal resonators? Any opinions?

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
I have black roo pads and Noyak "Hollywood" resonators. This setup works wonderfully in my 1957 The Martin Baritone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

saxismyaxe said:
I have black roo pads and Noyak "Hollywood" resonators. This setup works wonderfully in my 1957 The Martin Baritone.
Thanks for the reply - I've heard that the roo pads don't stick as much - is that true?
You might be able to help me on something else too, as a fellow bari owner....I've always thought the action on the low B and Bb seems a little tough because the pads travel a long way to close those low holes - is that common ? or is my horn somehow setup incorrectly? the only thing that seems to control those pads is the deco bracket which has felts stoppers...which doesnt seem bent at all! Thanks

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
Hi Chkymnky,

I've found that most current production pads stick more than pads in the past to varying degrees. This is no doubt due in no small part to the newer health and environmentally safer standards imposed on the manufacturers regarding the tanning and finishing of the leather. The newer chemical treatments seem to promote sticky pad surfaces. Roo pads are about the same as any other in my experience.

I had my horn set up by Steve Stransky of World Wide Sax (I also purchased my Martin Bari horn from him), and there is no finer tech. I fear that the issue with your low end keys is indeed the horn's setup, as mine plays like a dream from top to bottom. Actually it is one of the easiest to play of all my horns, baritone or otherwise.

These Martin Baritones are superb when setup properly, and is my Baritone of choice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
saxismyaxe said:
Hi Chkymnky,

I've found that most current production pads stick more than pads in the past to varying degrees. This is no doubt due in no small part to the newer health and environmentally safer standards imposed on the manufacturers regarding the tanning and finishing of the leather. The newer chemical treatments seem to promote sticky pad surfaces. Roo pads are about the same as any other in my experience.

I had my horn set up by Steve Stransky of World Wide Sax (I also purchased my Martin Bari horn from him), and there is no finer tech. I fear that the issue with your low end keys is indeed the horn's setup, as mine plays like a dream from top to bottom. Actually it is one of the easiest to play of all my horns, baritone or otherwise.

These Martin Baritones are superb when setup properly, and is my Baritone of choice.
Thank you again for the reply.
I've heard nothing but good about Steve - I've always enjoyed his website too - just wish he was a little closer! I had my tenor recently overhauled by Eric at Saxology in Berkeley who totally transformed the horn. Maybe its time for my bari! It's amazing what you get used too - all the horn's little (or not so little!) idiosynchrosies

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
I have a bunch of Martin Altos and some have plastic resos, some metal and some rivet pads. Truth is that I really can't tell that much difference. I generally use the brown plastic just because they are easier to match when some need replacing. The only advice I can give is that Martins MUST have THIN pads. Using medium to thick pads are a pain as they may work OK heated in when new but for a good seal over time, they need to be THIN or the back sides will start hitting first with time.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
My '53 The Martin came from Sarge at Worldwide Sax as well. Like saxismyaxe, mine has black Saxgourmet pads and Noyek resos, which are a great combination on this horn.

I agree with his comments on Steve as well....a great tech and a terrific person to do business with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the comments

Bob M said:
My '53 The Martin came from Sarge at Worldwide Sax as well. Like saxismyaxe, mine has black Saxgourmet pads and Noyek resos, which are a great combination on this horn.

I agree with his comments on Steve as well....a great tech and a terrific person to do business with.
I appreciate the feedback.
Checking Steve's website (www.worldwidesax.com) it looks like he's only doing local bari restoration work because of problems sending the bari's by post......I'll check with him anyway!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sarge at Worldwide Sax gets my highest recommendations. He has done extensive restorations for me on a variety of horns, all makes, models and vintages. The work is consistently superb. Moreover, a skilled and knowledgeable professional and honest gentleman.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts