Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have played saxophone for a number of years. I currently play an SC901 Yanigisawa Soprano! However, I know absolutely nothing about Martin Alto's. A friend of mine has what I would call "a very pretty" Martin alto. The neck is not original, but the horn is in very nice condition. I believe it has been re lacquered. The pads are nice but probably needs a complete overhaul. The serial number is 56625. That is all that I know! He would like to sell it and I do not know how to direct him. Any input from anyone!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have played saxophone for a number of years. I currently play an SC901 Yanigisawa Soprano! However, I know absolutely nothing about Martin Alto's. A friend of mine has what I would call "a very pretty" Martin alto. The neck is not original, but the horn is in very nice condition. I believe it has been re lacquered. The pads are nice but probably needs a complete overhaul. The serial number is 56625. That is all that I know! He would like to sell it and I do not know how to direct him. Any input from anyone!
I take it your friend is not a player and he's asking for your advice. Why do you feel it needs a complete overhaul, have you played it? Your (or his) best bet is to take it to a reliable tech and have it checked out. If it doesn't need much work he will get more for it than if it needs to be overhauled. Here's a site that can help you with the price range. https://www.saxgourmet.com/vintage-saxophone-value-guide/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I would pass. Although I really like Martins, that one is a series two that does not have the high C# adjuster thus the high C# and D are very sharp and annoying. Look for a series three or later (around 82,000+). Also no front F on the series two.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts