Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I've picked up a Martin Elkhart alto with bell keys on the right hand side. It has a 44XX serial number, sheet metal key guards, pearls in the key bumper holders, an unusual oval bell brace, drawn tone holes and a plastic guard near the thumb rest!

I'm guessing that it may be one of the few that Leblanc made in Elkhart, before things were moved to Kenosha, but I really have no facts on this. I've scanned the Leblanc and Yani pictures from the Saxpics site, but found no matches.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--Sidepipes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
If the logo is Martin in an oval, it is one of the Yanagisawa horns. If it has Martin Elkhart on the bell, it is one of the few imported from Europe in the 70s

·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bruce, it has Martin, Elkhart Ind. engraved inside a trapezoid. If it was imported from Europe, I wonder who made it?

Thanks,

Sidepipes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
That would be interesting to find out. Maybe the saxpics site oculd help you out with this one?

·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bingo! A Malerne Stenciled Martin!

Got it! The European clue, along with SaxPics, led me to Malerne. Supposedly Mr. Malerne was close to LeBlanc, even playing in his band. So Malerne stenciled some horns as Martin Elkhart, Ind.

Thanks,

Sidepipes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts