Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A customer brought this in last week and I have never seen one like it. All I know at this point is that it is a "Martelle", it is made in Germany, and it is the best saxophone in the world. :) (It says so right on the instrument) It also has a plastic wraparound keyguard reminiscent of an early Conn---I forget the model. Can anyone provide any additional information about this brand?

View attachment 236154

View attachment 236156

View attachment 236158

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah. What they said. Although the combination of rolled tone holes, lucite "Angel Wing" key guards and the unique shape of the RH pinky keys immediately scream Keilwerth! It's the JK in the "Best in the World" circle that's the the obvious giveaway: Julius Keilwerth. And it is a beauty. Makes my Hammerschmidt jealous.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the responses to my question. Now I can tell the owner just what they have. I couldn't find any Martelles that were sold on EBay to come up with an approximate value. I will try again searching for a Keilwerth Tone King. Does anyone have a guess? It is in fair to good condition.

·
Registered
929 Posts
The clothes guard is missing. I assume that is plastic as well. Does anyone have any pictures of one that I can try to replicate?
There's some pretty good photos of an alto with one here on saxpics: http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=2053
I can't find a good photo of one on an alto from the side, after a bit of searching, though. (I'll look a bit more after this, though.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
The clothes guard is missing. I assume that is plastic as well. Does anyone have any pictures of one that I can try to replicate?
they are not impossible to find

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
Any leads you might have would be appreciated. :) :)
Just a few days ago there was someone offering angel wings if I am not mistaken they would probably be able offer one pant’s guard too

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
My tech crafted a clothes guard for cheap [around 75 us, maybe?] from spare parts.

Not looking for restoration, only efficiency.

My Keilwerth stencil was a marvel, and an incredible bargain.

Good luck with the horn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts