Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,400 Posts
I saw them here in Lincoln. Branford played first, then Terrence. I felt that the show was very good. Yes, there were some moments where I thought to myself, "didn't I just hear this?" But for the most part, the performance challenged me as a listener in a good way. One thing I didn't like was that I thought both guys let some of their band stretch their solos a little bit too long. I came to hear Branford and Terrence, not to hear the piano player go on for 10 minutes. They were great players, please don't get me wrong, they just went on a little too long. And yes, I think it is good of the headliners to give that oppurtuity to their co-musicians, it just wasn't as exciting to me as I'd hoped. Branford's drummer was out of sight good! He was energetic, and he made me feel what he felt. Branford's playing is what I expected after listening to his music for years. He's an amazing player. Terence moved me mostly with his compositions. I can see why the music he wrote won an Emmy. I was quite good. All in all in speaking of the entire performance, they took me on a journey, they brought me back, and I was changed by it. I'm glad that I went.
It's jazz. Everybody takes solos.

I've always preferred Blanchard's compositions to his trumpet playing, although he is a fine player (First heard him with Blakey).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts