Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to see this concert in a few hours, has anyone here seen it? What can I expect? Thanks. Mayho

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
Re: Branford Marsalis / Nicolas Payton

Branford should be good.
Payton.. Ehhh... Depends on if he' stoned or not.
He was the guest performer at the Central Michigan University Jazz Weekend last year. Showed up stoned on his *A* and stunk the place up. His performance was so bad that his 'manager' refunded payment for the gig and issued a written apology.
Let's hope he plays 'straight' at this concert.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well.....It would help if I got the actual artist right. It was TERENCE BLANCHARD

I could talk all day about this show, but I'm a limited typist, so here is a short review.
I have no doubt that I was listening to world class musicians, and I was in awe of their respective talents, they did nothing that moved or inspired me! After two hours of listening I was not inspired to buy anything I heard, ( and I'm a sucker for live music, if I hear it I'll buy it pretty much). Most song started out fast and got faster, just a crescendo of noise. I think the venue hold about 2000 people it was lucky to be 3/4 full to start the show, after Branford's set it was obvious a few hundred people left. During Blanchard's show there was a slow and steady stream of people leaving.

I'm looking around at the crowd and I don't see any heads bobbing ( swing man!), it's as if there is no connection with the audience. but when the sets were complete the audience gave these gentlemen standing ovations! I'm willing to accept the fact that maybe I'm not a sophisticated listener to "get it", and that might be true. But should it be that hard?

I am so easy to please, grade school, middle, high school and college students have thrilled me musically, but I left this venue empty. I didn't hate it, I just didn't like it. The guy sitting next to me said, "man they almost put me to sleep, and I know for a fact my wife and I dozed off a time or two.

I guess some of you may want to hear about the sax playing. Blanchard's Quintet had Brice Winston on tenor, nice warm sound, again, obviously the guy can play. I was very impressed with the work he is doing as an educator in Arizona.

I can't critique these guys because they can do something at a level that I will never be able to do anything!
Where they playing for the audience or themselves?
Is there a place where I can hear these cat's "get down", or is that type of playing beneath them?
I would love to talk with someone that loved the show just to see what I might be missing.

Just some random thoughts.... Thanks. Mayho

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,210 Posts

I'm looking around at the crowd and I don't see any heads bobbing ( swing man!), it's as if there is no connection with the audience. but when the sets were complete the audience gave these gentlemen standing ovations! I'm willing to accept the fact that maybe I'm not a sophisticated listener to "get it", and that might be true. But should it be that hard? ...
Well, it doesn't have to be that hard. Doesn't have to be easy, either, but no one should complain that "people" leave their concerts when the music is mainly highly abstract musicians' music. It's hard to connect that way. However, although my current taste is mainly for music that is not only sophisticated but also easily accessible for most people, I have seen quite a number of shows with impressive, abstract jazz that left me stunned and inspired. Anyhow, I usually prefer moved over stunned.
Best,
ism.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I saw them here in Lincoln. Branford played first, then Terrence. I felt that the show was very good. Yes, there were some moments where I thought to myself, "didn't I just hear this?" But for the most part, the performance challenged me as a listener in a good way. One thing I didn't like was that I thought both guys let some of their band stretch their solos a little bit too long. I came to hear Branford and Terrence, not to hear the piano player go on for 10 minutes. They were great players, please don't get me wrong, they just went on a little too long. And yes, I think it is good of the headliners to give that oppurtuity to their co-musicians, it just wasn't as exciting to me as I'd hoped. Branford's drummer was out of sight good! He was energetic, and he made me feel what he felt. Branford's playing is what I expected after listening to his music for years. He's an amazing player. Terence moved me mostly with his compositions. I can see why the music he wrote won an Emmy. I was quite good. All in all in speaking of the entire performance, they took me on a journey, they brought me back, and I was changed by it. I'm glad that I went.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I remember I saw Blanchard a while back...probably about 15 years ago when he came to Ecuador (have no clue why the hell he'd come down to Ecuador for a show)...Back then I was younger and stupid(er) so I didn't really appreciate or learn anything from the clinic he gave. ugh!!!!!!!! All I remember me asking him was: Could you give me some tips for improvisation? and he said: listen to a lot of jazz.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
I saw them here in Lincoln. Branford played first, then Terrence. I felt that the show was very good. Yes, there were some moments where I thought to myself, "didn't I just hear this?" But for the most part, the performance challenged me as a listener in a good way. One thing I didn't like was that I thought both guys let some of their band stretch their solos a little bit too long. I came to hear Branford and Terrence, not to hear the piano player go on for 10 minutes. They were great players, please don't get me wrong, they just went on a little too long. And yes, I think it is good of the headliners to give that oppurtuity to their co-musicians, it just wasn't as exciting to me as I'd hoped. Branford's drummer was out of sight good! He was energetic, and he made me feel what he felt. Branford's playing is what I expected after listening to his music for years. He's an amazing player. Terence moved me mostly with his compositions. I can see why the music he wrote won an Emmy. I was quite good. All in all in speaking of the entire performance, they took me on a journey, they brought me back, and I was changed by it. I'm glad that I went.

It's jazz. Everybody takes solos.

I've always preferred Blanchard's compositions to his trumpet playing, although he is a fine player (First heard him with Blakey).

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,474 Posts
I saw them together two years ago along with Ravi Coltrane and thought all were fantastic. Blanchard is very smooth and his solos do tend to be what I consider "safe" when compared to Marsalis but all/both are heavyweights imho. B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts