Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg image.jpg So I got this otto link recently and for the first month or so its been fine but I havent played it in a week and I opened up my case to find that it has what looks like rust on it. It is a otto link super tone master 5*

EDIT: THIS IS NOT THE CAP OF THE MOUTHPIECE IT IS THE MOUTHPIECE
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
That looks like the cap, not the mouthpiece itself. The cap is just lacquered brass which can tarnish. Welcome to the world of brass instruments. My 50 y/o MkVI looks like James Cameron found it on the Titanic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ignore this

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks like the cap, not the mouthpiece itself. The cap is just lacquered brass which can tarnish. Welcome to the world of brass instruments. My 50 y/o MkVI looks like James Cameron found it on the Titanic.
The mouthpiece was not on the cap when i took the picture. (sorry if im misunderstanding you) Also is there anything I can do about it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,762 Posts
Was it a new or used mouthpiece? An Otto Link is a gold-plated bronze mouthpiece so it doesn't rust. What you are showing looks like a lacquered reed cap as mdavej said. Any little scratch lets air/moisture get to the brass which starts corrosion under the lacquer that turns the lacquer brown.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was it a new or used mouthpiece? An Otto Link is a gold-plated bronze mouthpiece so it doesn't rust. What you are showing looks like a lacquered reed cap as mdavej said. Any little scratch lets air/moisture get to the brass which starts corrosion under the lacquer that turns the lacquer brown.
I thought I bought it new from WWBW but it came with scratches and once again it is not a cap it is just zoomed in on the mouthpiece. Does this affext the playing and can i fix it?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I have a couple of gold plated DG LT pieces that have this type of discoloration. It's not rust since there's nothing involved that would rust but more like imperfections in the plating that show up over time especially if the piece is handled. My feeling is this is the sign of a crummy plating job but I'm not an expert on electroplating so that's a bit of a guess. If you like the way the piece plays I wouldn't worry about it. The gold plating on most mouthpieces is so thin it begins to wear off within a year or two anyway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a couple of gold plated DG LT pieces that have this type of discoloration. It's not rust since there's nothing involved that would rust but more like imperfections in the plating that show up over time especially if the piece is handled. My feeling is this is the sign of a crummy plating job but I'm not an expert on electroplating so that's a bit of a guess. If you like the way the piece plays I wouldn't worry about it. The gold plating on most mouthpieces is so thin it begins to wear off within a year or two anyway.
So does this affect the sound?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,060 Posts
That is absolutely nothing to think about. Pieces get scratched and then they tarnish pater. You lig or cap scratched it and it will happen again and again. Gold plat on a mouthpiece is pretty at first but it will all wear off over time. I

Links are brass and not bronze. They are first plated with nickel and overplated with gold. Play it and dont worry. You should see the ugly vintage pieces played by pros. When yours is all worn off you will be a much better player lol

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
So does this affect the sound?
No, as the others have said it's just cosmetic but it is a bit annoying especially if it begins to happen very quickly after you purchase the piece. The reason I think it's a poor plating job is because my gold plated JJ and SR Tech pieces have not done this. Like most things I suspect you get what you pay for in terms of plating jobs. Regardless, if you like the way the piece plays don't worry about it and just keep playing. You can't see the piece while your playing it and nobody else cares so don't obsess about it just keep practicing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You have to earn that patina!
As far as I know, no one has yet began to market “distressed” mouthpieces like other products are sold. Pre-faded and threadbare jeans, for example. Fender has been doing this for years with electric guitars, and you pay extra for the worn-down finish they apply at the factory.

As has been mentioned, if your Link plays well for you and you’re happy with the tone, it’s a keeper, regardless of what shape the finish is in. It can be hit-and-miss with the facings on Links. You might exchange it for a nice new shiny one that doesn’t play as well as what you have.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
You have to earn that patina!
As far as I know, no one has yet began to market “distressed” mouthpieces like other products are sold. Pre-faded and threadbare jeans, for example. Fender has been doing this for years with electric guitars, and you pay extra for the worn-down finish they apply at the factory.

As has been mentioned, if your Link plays well for you and you’re happy with the tone, it’s a keeper, regardless of what shape the finish is in. It can be hit-and-miss with the facings on Links. You might exchange it for a nice new shiny one that doesn’t play as well as what you have.
Actually ........ https://theowanne.com/knowledge/the-vintified-finish/

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well I be!

I spoke too soon.

Hmmmm. I wonder if unfinished brass does the same thing as the “Special order finish”, that is also, “a natural patina which “wears” when handled.” Like my unfinished brass Zippo lighter that now looks like no other Zippo! That’s the way that Zippo markets it. They don’t charge extra for not applying lacquer.
More power to ya.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
We all hate it when our perfect, shiny new thing is no longer perfect. Imagine how I felt as a kid when my shiny new Dukoff went from this to this. Luckily, the audience only cares about how you sound, not how your mouthpiece looks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts