Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb question. No really.
Any ideas for marking Legere reeds? The stickers keep falling off. They fall off easily since there's two of them on top of each other. One with the model, the other with the strength. Plus you can't write on them. I have lots for different mouthpieces, and they're getting mixed up.
rr

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not a dumb question. I use a sharpie marker to mark my reeds (Legere included). The only problem is when you use certain chemicals to sanitize the reeds the marker will come off. Not really a problem but be aware of it. Other than that Sharpie's are great for that purpose.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,132 Posts
I use Decocolor paint pens for all sorts of things. They work well to mark my Fibracel reeds and the mark lasts much longer than using a regular Sharpie. They're at hobby/craft shops and online. Get the black one like this:

http://www.marvy.com/product_details.aspx?ProductID=40

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I mark the butt of the reed with a sharpie, less likelihood of it rubbing off that way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I mark on the butt of the Legere using a fine point Uniball pen. I also date the reed so I know which one is which.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
One problem I've had with using a Sharpie to mark my Legere reeds is the writing will wear off. I remove the stickers from the reeds on purpose. That is, I've found the reeds to have a better quality of sound without the stickers.

Legitalto, How many different reed strengths are you using? I'm curious about why you're using so many mouthpieces. One approach could be to have a number of reed cases and mark the reed strength on the case rather than on the reeds. Then, keep your reeds organized that way.

Roger

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roger,
I play 3 alto and 3 tenor pieces regularly. Classical, large chamber jazz, and a high baffle on each. Sometimes I like different strength reeds especially on the high baffle depending on sound levels at certain gigs.
rr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts