Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with some people?

I have an item for sale. Someone contacts me with a trade offer. At about the same time I accept the trade offer, someone else expresses interest in purchasing the item. Knowing that I'd prefer a cash sale, 1st person tells me he noticed that someone else expressed interest in the item, and they'd be willing to back off on the trade if I can sell for cash. I tell him that is extremely considerate of him, and that I'd give person #2 a day to consummate the deal, otherwise I'd go through with the trade.

I immediately email and PM person #2. Absolutely no response whatsoever. And before everyone gets on my case that people don't necessarily sit in front of their computers all day, two things. First, I know he logged onto SOTW yesterday after I tried to contact him. Second, shouldn't someone that has expressed interest in an item make a point of checking in and responding when the seller replies?!?

Ahhhh, screw it.

Frank :x

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Frank, I do not disagree with what you wrote, but from my personal experience some folks don't read their emails or PM as regularly as reading posts - and vice versa. Some have email only at work - and some only at home. Sometimes they are overcome by events and only do read one or the other but not all at the same time. It has frustrated me in the past but I've come to accept that there are other folks who just do things differently than I and I have to use a certain kind of patience. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
and I have to use a certain kind of patience.
Ahh, the kinder, more gentle gary surfaces again! Good show!

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gary -

Thanks. I hear what you're saying (figuratively). There are other facts I could bring up to respond to what you said, but I'd rather not belabor the issue. I got it off my chest.

You obviously have much more patience than I do. ;)

Frank

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
fballatore said:
At about the same time I accept the trade offer, someone else expresses interest in purchasing the item....
Frank :x
Frank I totally understand your frustration, but if the second person "expressed interest," that's not the same thing as saying they will definitely buy it from you. Unless of course this person actually did say they wanted the item for sure and would be "in touch" or whatever. In that case I don't understand why they haven't followed up quickly in order to be sure no one else beats them to it. Sounds a bit to me like they aren't all that interested. Good luck either way.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
I coulda' sworn we had a long dissection of this issue in a thread a short while ago. It surely is helpful on both sides of the buyer/seller equation to respond promptly to emails/PMs, especially once you've made enough of a commitment to constrain action on other offers or deals that might come up.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
chitownjazz said:
I coulda' sworn we had a long dissection of this issue in a thread a short while ago. It surely is helpful on both sides of the buyer/seller equation to respond promptly to emails/PMs, especially once you've made enough of a commitment to constrain action on other offers or deals that might come up.

The kid in your Avater is way WAY TOO CUTE.

·
23,005 Posts
chitownjazz said:
It surely is helpful on both sides of the buyer/seller equation to respond promptly to emails/PMs, especially once you've made enough of a commitment to constrain action on other offers or deals that might come up.
Absolutely, but that's what I'm questioning. All sorts of folks will call anywhere and everywhere expressing interest in whatever, but when push comes to shove, only a small percentage will actually act on that interest. That is a general statement regarding anything, but it might apply here as well.

Maybe this fits into the "don't count your chickens before they hatch" category. Ok, enough folk wisdom for one day.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Simon Weiner said:
The kid in your Avater is way WAY TOO CUTE.
Not only that, I have on good authority that she plays saxophone.

·
9,733 Posts
JL said:
Absolutely, but that's what I'm questioning. All sorts of folks will call anywhere and everywhere expressing interest in whatever, but when push comes to shove, only a small percentage will actually act on that interest. That is a general statement regarding anything, but it might apply here as well.

Maybe this fits into the "don't count your chickens before they hatch" category. Ok, enough folk wisdom for one day.
I'm talking about a situation where somebody PMs to say "I want mouthpiece X if it's still available. Do you accept Paypal?" and that's the last you hear from them. You can't very well say yes and then sell it to someone else without giving the person some time to respond. I suppose you could say "Yes, but only if your payment arrives before someone else's," but that's not really practical.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
The only thing I can think of is including a listing saying you have a week after the seller to post the add, if the deal is not formulated by the first potiential buyer then it just goes on. That way the people who log on only at work can check their messages, and an informal agreement with price and quality of the instrument can be established. That way their is some kind of contract to purchase/exchange goods so that their is no misunderstandings.

It would speed up the trading process, if you have a week.

Ofcourse the extreame opposite could happen and it could create more chaous in the marketplace.

·
23,005 Posts
chitownjazz said:
I'm talking about a situation where somebody PMs to say "I want mouthpiece X if it's still available. Do you accept Paypal?" and that's the last you hear from them. You can't very well say yes and then sell it to someone else without giving the person some time to respond. I suppose you could say "Yes, but only if your payment arrives before someone else's," but that's not really practical.
I see the where this could be a problem. However, I do think you can say: "yes it's available at the moment, unless someone buys (or trades for) it before you get back to me. I'm selling on a first come, first serve basis."

Once you make the deal and tell someone you'll ship the item upon receiving payment, then I'd say you are duty-bound to hold the item for them until the funds come through. If the funds don't come through, you have to get back to them. This is where things can get a bit sticky, but actually you should set some sort of reasonable deadline for receiving payment.

Anyway, I guess I misread the original post. I thought it only said someone "expressed interest," which is a far cry from "I want the mpc and will send you money."

edit: Wait a minute, I didn't misread it. That's what it said..."someone expressed interest..."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
766 Posts
If the delicate balancing act of entertaining BOTH trade and cash sale are too stressful to cope with...perhaps it would be best to only consider Trade ONLY or Cash Sale ONLY...NOT BOTH. If you REALLY would rather sell it for money, then try to sell it for money...if that doesn't work...THEN try to trade it for something else. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary...

·
9,733 Posts
I've put this note into my for sale thread: "I try to be low key and flexible in my dealings here. If you put something on hold and have a change of heart for whatever reason, no big deal, just drop me a line promptly so I can move things along with any other potential buyers." I hope that's enough to discourage any wafflers from dropping out of sight.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
chitownjazz said:
If you put something on hold and have a change of heart for whatever reason, no big deal, just drop me a line promptly...
And therein lies the rub. One person's "promptly" is another person's...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Frank B I side with you all the way, it's just plain old common courtesy, if you make inquiries, especially multiple emails about an item, it just plain common courtesy to write back saying you are or are not interested in the item. A simple no thank you is all it takes to act in a professional manner. Unfortunately right here in this very forum you can track many "tire kickers" doing a manic amount of posting showing lack of knowledge and being answered, unfortunately by many of the uninformed and inexperienced. Luckily they will sometimes listen to the advise of the experienced and wise.
Flare on !!
BA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts