Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...these dont come up all that often for sale (here or ebay)

Whats a fair price now for something like the 2001, Allora, Medusa etc,

Tenors seem to be $3-400 more than the altos, and the Guardalas and engraved jazz series ones seem to keep a higher price despite being basically the same horn.

Any ideas what a bog standard 2001 or Allora without the adjustable palm keys is worth now?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
Canadiain said:
Just curious...these dont come up all that often for sale (here or ebay)

Whats a fair price now for something like the 2001, Allora, Medusa etc,

Tenors seem to be $3-400 more than the altos, and the Guardalas and engraved jazz series ones seem to keep a higher price despite being basically the same horn.

Any ideas what a bog standard 2001 or Allora without the adjustable palm keys is worth now?
In very good condition, I would say:

Tenor - $1500 +/-
Alto - $1200 +/-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
I see tenor B&S and stencils going for 1200 to 1600 US$ depending on look (and luck of the seller).
Black nickel seem to go for the top range, earthtone and lacquer for the bottom.

Great bargains. I have a 2001 tenor that I wouldn't sell for 3 times that price.
Go for one of those if you can.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I bought an Earthtone Alto (Chicago Jazz Series) and love the thing to death. Picked it up for $1150 from http://www.wwbw.com, brand new.

·
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Folks, thats exactly the sort of info I was hoping for.

·
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shhhhh!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Canadiain said:
Congrats, Canadiain. Ridiculously low price and an outstanding instrument. Enjoy!

BTW, some people don't like the key heights from the factory on the altos. They seem to be a bit low generally. Bear that in mind when you are playing it. The intonation is excellent thought.

·
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparantly the market value yesterday was $1060:) (plus shipping, plus import fees, plus taxes)

If I like it enough, maybe there is a tenor in my future too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Still the best bargain out there right now!!

·
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah Man, it arrived yesterday. If this isnt the best bargain in the sax world I dont know what is.

The G# see-saw mechanism has me confused though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Canadiain said:
Ah Man, it arrived yesterday. If this isnt the best bargain in the sax world I dont know what is.

The G# see-saw mechanism has me confused though.
Yeah, it doesn't really do anything does it?

·
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
hgiles said:
Yeah, it doesn't really do anything does it?
Im not sure:? The rest of it is so well designed and built I cant help thinking it must be there for a reason.

I started a seperate thread hoping for an answer...

I've come to the conclusion that its like the Kielwerth no stick G# mechanism, and if properly adjusted it doesnt do anything unless the G# pad tries to stick , in which case it will push on the auxiliary F cup and hopefully give it a little boost to unstick it. To work I guess it needs to be adjusted to be in contact on both sides of the see saw.

Is that it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Apologies for resurrecting an older thread,
But. . .

Any ideas of the value of a decent old Blue label B&S tenor? How is quality on these older B&S's compared to the newer models? I have searched and subsequently read about keywork on them that's not quite up to the newer models' standard. Any other pertintent comments on B&S Blue Labels in general are welcomed too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Seems as prices have crept up since last year on these too.
I recently picked up a near mint B&S Black Nickel CJS. I also have a B&S Codera Goldbrass Alto. (bought it new 4 years ago- also awesome horns) (may be for sale one of these weeks)

Cant help on the Blue label horns I'm afraid.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Apologies for resurrecting an older thread,
But. . .

Any ideas of the value of a decent old Blue label B&S tenor? How is quality on these older B&S's compared to the newer models? I have searched and subsequently read about keywork on them that's not quite up to the newer models' standard. Any other pertintent comments on B&S Blue Labels in general are welcomed too.
"Blue Label" B&S tenor saxophones are usually silver lacquer horns. They are very very good horns that was made in Germany, GDR, around mid 70s to 80s. "Blue label" is not official name of this model. Players, or sellers called them as "Blue label" because of bell to body embrace with B&S logo blue color on those to letters. I saw couples of websites they sold it around $1650-$1950. These B&S blue label are great horns except the case for the money - the cases were made out of cartoon. This model B&S has warmer, darker, well built and projection than some other new current productions. This model B&S horns compete with Keilwerth horns the same era, and they are both as good as H. Couf superba I , II and W.T Armstrong Heritage horns.

·
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any ideas of the value of a decent old Blue label B&S tenor?
Seen a couple go on ebay recently around the $800 mark, which is less that they used to be I think. Dealer prices are understandably more, as you dont really know what you are going to get when it arrives with ebay.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I see tenor B&S and stencils going for 1200 to 1600 US$ depending on look (and luck of the seller).
Black nickel seem to go for the top range, earthtone and lacquer for the bottom.

Great bargains. I have a 2001 tenor that I wouldn't sell for 3 times that price.
Go for one of those if you can.
Here's mine :

View attachment 53543

View attachment 53544

View attachment 53545

I've just bought it for 360€/295£ (with original case, mouthpiece and box of reeds) from original owner. It's a stencil B&S "sonora"... NO dents, dings,...With metal resonator on pads.

Good deal ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
you paid the right price, your horn is in fact a Weltklang (made by the same company) and that’s the price that they are, nothing to do with the B&S that this thread is about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts