Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two fabulous Conn altos, which is at least one more than I need, so I might want to sell one in the future. Both horns are in very, very good original condition. Close to mint. Which one do you think would have the highest market value?:

Conn 6M 277XXX
Nickel plate. Horn and neck stamped NAT´L VIII. Comes in a Protec case.

Conn "Late transitional" 257XXX
Silver plate. Neck is stamped STD`D M. This neck has a Micro tuner which is a bit different than on the 6M, it has finer threads. Comes in original case in very good condition (the handle is new).

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
It's difficult to say — both are excellent horns. The Tranny dates to 1933; the 6M to 1936. The knee-jerk reaction would be to value the 6M more highly, but the late transitional Conn altos retain a couple of features which were removed from the 6M, and which some of us wish had been retained.

Then again, there weren't that many nickel-plated 6Ms… In the end, it depends on where you market them and what the prospective purchaser is looking for.

If you want to sell one of them, you must decide for yourself which one you prefer to play, and sell the other one.

To get an idea of how much they might fetch on the market, go to eBay and search for the sale prices of similar instruments — the prices paid, that is, not the prices asked for !

It would be handy to see some photographs, if you really want a price estimate here…

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
I had a silver plate late transitional. It had been replated and this was probably the problem to sell. I traded it with other things for a value of over €1500 ( but of course trading is not the same as cash).

My feeling is that in Europe these may be worth more than in the US ( which is generally true of many American horns) and in particular in Sweden. I think that, if really nice, (even in this depressed climate) this may be worth around €2000 sold by a shop and a little less sold by a private seller.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
The transitional horn would probably have more value. That serial range of Conn's is the absolute best of the best, IMO. Nothing beats the 25x,xxx serials of Conn altos. That being said, nickle plate is fairly rare on the Conn 6M's in the 277,xxx serial range so that's a pretty cool feature to have.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
They are beautiful horns. I came in the possession of a late one (1953) with straight toneholes but with original chocolate brown lacquer (very nice). I It is now being repadded but what I could play revealed and incredible sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts