Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I picked up a late 80's Yani A880 a month ago. I'm looking to upgrade the neck and I've seen where people have used Selmer Ref 36 and Mark VII necks to rplace their stock 880 neck.

Have any of you tried either one of these necks on a Yani 880 that can give me a recommendation? :)

Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Make sure you are talking about alto necks.

The Ref 36 is Tenor only so obviously a Ref 36 neck will not be what you are looking for. Most likely the posts you have read were refering to an 880 Tenor?

Why do you want to replace the neck? I take it from your forum name you still consider yourself a 'newbie' in which case lots of practice and work on your technique is more likely to improve your tone than a new neck.......

Regards....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply. Well...... Ref 36 is obviously out of the question :). Based on what I've been reading, people say that the Mark VII neck really opened up their horn giving it a warmer sound which is what I'm after. I've been playing for a little over a year now and now that I got this Yani 880 alto, I'd like to get the neck replaced to open it up a little so I can develop with the setup I'm going to keep. As long as the price is right of course :). If it doesn't work out, I can always sell the neck and keep the stock one.
No doubt about lots of practice, I'm working on it :).

Thanks again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,964 Posts
Based on what I've been reading, people say that the Mark VII neck really opened up their horn giving it a warmer sound which is what I'm after.
And those people would be leading you astray; and probably have already switched equipment since. At your level, a mismatched neck isn't going to give you a warmer sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
A880's are great horns with the supplied neck. If you must change gear then try a few mouthpieces/ligatures first you should be able to take your esisting set up to a store and try a whole load of combinations it will probably cheaper than changing your neck which possibly you wont get to try out first and you could be dissapointed once you a. have paid for the crook and b. paid for the crook to be fitted to your alto.

My advice, lots of practice, long notes and build up your enbouchure, get a teacher and ask their advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And those people would be leading you astray; and probably have already switched equipment since. At your level, a mismatched neck isn't going to give you a warmer sound.
Thanks for the advise. Perhaps is not time for experimenting too much :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A880's are great horns with the supplied neck. If you must change gear then try a few mouthpieces/ligatures first you should be able to take your esisting set up to a store and try a whole load of combinations it will probably cheaper than changing your neck which possibly you wont get to try out first and you could be dissapointed once you a. have paid for the crook and b. paid for the crook to be fitted to your alto.

My advice, lots of practice, long notes and build up your enbouchure, get a teacher and ask their advice.

Thanks, you just saved me some money :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts