Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of moving, and yesterday, while sorting through the stuff that was under the stairs of my old house, I came across a brochure for the alto and tenor Mark VII saxophones. The brochure would be roughly from 1979, from when I was in junior high school. I was checking out the horns, because I was planning on buying my first pro sax.

Long story short, until I saw this brochure, I had forgotten that I had actually owned one of these for about a week. I guess I didn't like it that much, because I returned it, and got a Super 20. Fast forward a couple of years, and I wasn't allowed to use my Super 20 in university. I sold it, and bought the professor-approved, Mark VI tenor that I still have to this day.

Although my foray into Mark VII ownership didn't last for more than 7 days, I seem to have filed the informational brochure away with a bunch of music from back in the day. Last night I scanned the booklet, and uploaded all the pages into the Mark VII gallery in Bassic Sax Pix.

If you're a Mark VII owner, you'll likely enjoy the booklet. I've purposely kept the pages large enough so that you can read the writing.

Even if you don't own a Mark VII, but have always wondered about the infamous spatula keys, here's your chance to see what Selmer wrote about them, and how they tried to sell them to the sax-playing public. The booklet also contains a 1 page long, glowing endorsement from Dr. Frederick Hemke, which makes for an interesting read.

·
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only Selmers were approved at the university, and specifically, Mark VIs. The school was big on classical. A Super 20 tenor just didn't cut it. Funny thing is, now I have a 1950 Zephyr. It's better than that particular Super 20 ever was. So now I have the best of both worlds! Besides... The last time I played classical was around the time dinosaurs walked the earth... :bluewink: Or around 1984... AKA my last year in university. I'm a rock and blues player all the way. :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,338 Posts
I'm a rock and blues player all the way. :twisted:
They should never have let you in...or out! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the brochure, Helen!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,438 Posts
I bought my daughter a new MKVII alto when she was in high school (must be about your age, Helen) and she still has it and plays it in various bands. I just heard her play it yesterday afternoon at a local jazz festival. I've always liked that horn and she loves it. It has a wonderful sound. I own a MKVI alto (110XXX) and they are both great horns. I never understood the bashing given to VII's.

Thanks for this post. I will send her a link to it. DAVE

·
3,584 Posts
it wasnt the sound but the key placement. also the 7 was extremly heavy. i had 2 tenors -both played great but i couldnt stand the keys and the extra weight standing all gig long.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Nice pics. The SA80 II alto sax is very similar to that Mark VII alto photo, especially the left hand spatula. One interesting thing about owning a Selmer Paris sax is that when taking it in for adjustments the techs pay extra special attention to detail, though they may not admit to it. One tech said to me, "I don't know what Selmer was thinking when they made the left hand spatula llike that. He's a Mark VI enthusiast and wanted me to allow him to modify the SA80 II spat layout to the Mark VI style.

·
2,109 Posts
Very interesting ! I've got a Mk7 brochure from a similar period but for the UK and only 4 pages long.

Is there any way to download the pages from the blog as I would like to study this North American brochure ?

I've just bought tenor and alto Mk7 horns and like them a lot.

Rhys

·
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there any way to download the pages from the blog as I would like to study this North American brochure ?

Rhys
Hi Rhys.

Sure. It's actually not a blog, it's a photo gallery, and the gallery software allows for downloading if you sign up as a member.

I've set it up so that it's automatic, and that I don't have to do anything. If you run into problems, just drop me an email through the contact button on the site.

Hope that helps...helen

·
14,438 Posts
Neither my daughter (who is a good player) nor I had any problems with her VII's response, intonation, sound, ergonomics, or any other issues one could imagine on an alto saxophone. DAVE

·
2,109 Posts
Hi Rhys.

Sure. It's actually not a blog, it's a photo gallery, and the gallery software allows for downloading if you sign up as a member.

I've set it up so that it's automatic, and that I don't have to do anything. If you run into problems, just drop me an email through the contact button on the site.

Hope that helps...helen
That's great. Thanks Helen.

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Because it's the tenors that truly deserve it.
I respect your opinion on this Grumps because I know you played a VII tenor but I heartily disagree. The VII tenor that I kept for 30+ years was a great tenor, in many ways superior to my VI's.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
I respect your opinion on this Grumps because I know you played a VII tenor but I heartily disagree. The VII tenor that I kept for 30+ years was a great tenor.
Same, I got a good one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
I thought I had a good one too... until I tried every other horn out there. :bluewink:
Got me there.
Did you play other VII tenors?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts