Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase a Mark VII alto serial number 232,XXX and am wondering if anyone has come across the following finish. The body is gold lacquer however the keys are all silver including the octave key on the neck. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Wood Musical instrument Wood Wind instrument Metal Art

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
This looks like my Mark VI. I got it in Europe where different finishes were popular. Some were gold lacquered, some silver plated, some....
Also it may not have engraving as that was an option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a bit of research into both Mark VI and Mark VII as this horn is rather close to the beginning of the selmer serial range (which people often question the reliability of). I don't think it's a mark VI as I think it has the ergonomic RH Eb/C key group , it has been engraved and is also stamped as a mark VI. I am yet to see any pictures of a Mark VII with this finish so that's why I posted this question.

·
SOTW Sleuth
236 Posts
I had a later Mark VII (289,XXX) in this finish...lacquered body and bell with silver plated keywork...European engraving. It was a great alto BTW

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yes, Selmer Paris did make Altos with a lacquer body and silver-plated keys in the 232k range.
In addition, they made both Mark VI and Mark VII horns in the 232k range.

Any chance you can share more photos of your horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
In addition, they made both Mark VI and Mark VII horns in the 232k range.
Indeed. I have a 238xxx MKVI tenor. Douglas, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but as a matter of interest and as you happened to bring it up, what is the highest MKVI SN you have come across? I've heard of 240xxx 6's, but any higher?

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I'm about to purchase a Mark VII alto serial number 232,XXX and am wondering if anyone has come across the following finish. The body is gold lacquer however the keys are all silver including the octave key on the neck. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
This was an option on both MKVIs and MKVis, I've seen quite a few.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,722 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Mike, I do not have photos of any Mark VI Altos after 240,9xx and Tenors after 238,3xx.
But, there seem to have been Mark VI altos and Tenors sold into the Euro market (particularly to Germany) well into the 253k range at least.
I am keeping a lookout in the Euro buy and sells to try to find one.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Charlie, thanks for the additional photos.
Your Mark VII Alto was built in August 1975 and shipped with a Lacquered body and Silver keys.
The Mark VI altos in the 232k range were produced about eight months earlier.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
Mike, I do not have photos of any Mark VI Altos after 240,9xx and Tenors after 238,3xx.
But, there seem to have been Mark VI altos and Tenors sold into the Euro market (particularly to Germany) well into the 253k range at least.
I am keeping a lookout in the Euro buy and sells to try to find one.
Thanks, Douglas. My tenor is 238898. I can give you some photos if you wish. Interestingly, I bought it in the UK but it had come from Germany!

Charlie, thanks for the additional photos.
Your Mark VII Alto was built in August 1975 and shipped with a Lacquered body and Silver keys.
The Mark VI altos in the 232k range were produced about eight months earlier.
I've never seen that 'star' stamp before the M prefix and the SN before. Can you shed any light?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have photos of several horns with the star prefix. All of them are early Mark VII horns.
I'd like to get my hands on one to make some measurements before offer an opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts