Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am about to buy a Mk VI from a friend and it is a really nice horn. only now I noticed that the serial on this one is 239xxx ! On all serial number charts, horns above 231,000 are VIIs. on the wikipedia article it says that

"There is also a Mark VI tenor with a 236,000 serial number which would challenge the 231,000 Mark VII change-over. This gives rise to speculation that Selmer produced both the Mark VI design and early Mark VII horns concurrently, or possibly until the existing parts for the Mark VI were used up."

but really if 236,000 is considered an extreme, how about this 239xxx? does that say anything relevant about the horn? does it take away some value? It is obliously a mk VI, that I can tell...

really curious to read your comments on this!

thanks
jose

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Mark VI's and Mark VII's were made concurrently with a 'phase out' of Mark VI and a 'ramp up' of Mark VII over some time period. If it says 'Mark VI' on the bell to bow ring and has Mark VI keywork, then it is a Mark VI.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
Don't remember for sure, but I think the highest serial M6 alto/tenor I've heard of was ~260,xxx

I wouldn't be surprised at anything I came across, considering how much overlap there was on these. Plus, if someone specially ordered a M6 well into the M7 run, Selmer woulda probably made it, if the parts bins had the pieces available...for a $price$, of course :)

I bought some Mazzeo Bb clarinets second hand that were made at least 10-15 years -after- they'd been discontinued(2000 manufacturing date).

$bucks$ talk; how well do YOU want Selmer to hear you??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
You asked about value. certain serial numbers ( for ex. 80,00 tenors) of Mark VI's are more sought after and command considerably higher prices than later models. Generally, as the numbers increase the resale value decrease, although there are exceptions. Bottom line is, however, that the 231,000 or 238,000 could be a great horn and if you get it at a good price because it's not the same vintage Brecker or Sanborn played or plays, so much the better for you. Personally, I don't buy into a lot of the hype. If it's a player ----it's a player, no matter when they made it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts