Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am being offered a 103,xxx Mark VI that had its original neck replaced (by the original owner) with a Balanced Action "T" neck. This unusual (to me) neck has a significantly raised octave hole, thus the "T". I'm told the BA neck provides much better intonation than the original. The horn plays beautifully. However, I have done much searching on the web and have found no mentions or photos of such a BA "T-neck." Does anyone know anything about this? Appreciate any and all thoughts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,693 Posts
"Tea kettle" octave vent.

Please share some pictures.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I realize you're talking about a tenor. I play a 1973 MKVI alto neck on my 1938 BA. Best set up I've ever played. When I reverse them... not so good. Probably means very little for other combinations.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Looks to me more like a SBA neck from your picture because of the shape of the plate which has 'selmer' written on it.

This is the BA tea kettle octave design:

Clothing Musical instrument Reed Reed instrument Saxophone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
It's a SBA neck as Liam cleverly points out. The octave vent seems... "not original"... he neck key has been bent, not built that way, like the key on Charlie Ventura's tenor.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Okay, it's a modified SBA neck. It apparently plays quite well. I guess the question you have to ask yourself is: "Would you be happy with this sax the way it's set up and for the offering price?" If you can say "yes" to both parts of the question then I'd go for it! You can always get a Mark VI neck later on if you decide you want one...

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I Have a 1940 BA Tenor on which I am using a mid 60's Mark VI 'Varitone' neck...seems to work well...it plays better than the original neck for some reason.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am being offered a 103,xxx Mark VI that had its original neck replaced (by the original owner) with a Balanced Action "T" neck. This unusual (to me) neck has a significantly raised octave hole, thus the "T". I'm told the BA neck provides much better intonation than the original. The horn plays beautifully. However, I have done much searching on the web and have found no mentions or photos of such a BA "T-neck." Does anyone know anything about this? Appreciate any and all thoughts.
A Mark VI with a non original, modified neck, that plays great? This should be a steal!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,678 Posts
A Mark VI with a non original, modified neck, that plays great? This should be a steal!
Just out of curiosity, could you clarify what you mean here (since we don't know the asking price for the horn).

Do you mean this horn should sell at a reduced price (a steal), or that it is somehow worth more than the 'going rate' for a MKVI, if it has such a neck?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Just out of curiosity, could you clarify what you mean here (since we don't know the asking price for the horn).

Do you mean this horn should sell at a reduced price (a steal), or that it is somehow worth more than the 'going rate' for a MKVI, if it has such a neck?
I'm not sure what he means, but I would think a horn without it's original neck would sell for less than an original horn/neck combo. I know that it doesn't seem logical, but I think a lot of importance is placed on originality when it comes to VI's, SBA's and BA's, regardless of how well it plays with the replacement. I'm sure others will disagree.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
is that a relaq mk vi? can you post more pictures of the neck and the body just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm not sure what he means, but I would think a horn without it's original neck would sell for less than an original horn/neck combo. I know that it doesn't seem logical, but I think a lot of importance is placed on originality when it comes to VI's, SBA's and BA's, regardless of how well it plays with the replacement. I'm sure others will disagree.
Originality demands a much higher price. So this horn should actually be affordable (but we don't know that of course). That's what I meant.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Yeah, this is what I would think too.

You could get a relacquered vintage Selmer with a non-original neck for much cheaper than one with 100% original lacquer with matching neck, even if the first one plays and sounds much better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts