Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,
I am interested in buying a Mark VI Tenor sax. Anyone know what a good price for one of these are? I am just looking right now but once i sell my YTS 23 i will be in the market. I am playing a yanagisawa A901 and it feels 10 times better than my Yamaha so that is why i feel i need an upgrade from my Yamaha. :)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Re: Mark IV Value

Hi Luke. Mark VI's can go from $3500 to $19,000 depending on condition, original lacquer, and that sometimes overlooked factor, playability.

Understand if you begin a Mark VI quest it may take a while before you find the right one at the right price.

Good luck and don't settle for anything less than what you want.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well, yeah.....student model YTS vs pro Yanagisawa.

The bigger question is would you be gaining anything by getting a Mark VI over a Yanagisawa? I'd say no. Unless you feel like trying out a ton of horns or shelling out $4K or more, I'd recommend getting a Yanagisawa tenor. They play great.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Well, yeah.....student model YTS vs pro Yanagisawa.

The bigger question is would you be gaining anything by getting a Mark VI over a Yanagisawa? I'd say no. Unless you feel like trying out a ton of horns or shelling out $4K or more, I'd recommend getting a Yanagisawa tenor. They play great.
Yep if you love the Yanagisawa get it.

If you just have to have a VI then get that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,973 Posts
If you do not play for pay, please don't waste your money on a 40-year-old saxophone about which you know nothing. If you did not grow up playing pre- 1974 Selmer Paris horns, you do not need a MK VI, plain and simple. Look into the premium Yanagisawa horns - they have some beauties, including one that you can option out to look like a King Super 20 with silver bell and neck. It even has the under-neck octave key. This will cost as much as a mint MK VI but probably will work better for you.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you do not play for pay, please don't waste your money on a 40-year-old saxophone about which you know nothing. If you did not grow up playing pre- 1974 Selmer Paris horns, you do not need a MK VI, plain and simple. Look into the premium Yanagisawa horns - they have some beauties, including one that you can option out to look like a King Super 20 with silver bell and neck. It even has the under-neck octave key. This will cost as much as a mint MK VI but probably will work better for you.
This is very presumptuous and rude. People who play for whatever reason are entitled to want, or buy, whatever kind of saxophone they please. Nobody *needs* a Mark VI but nobody *needs* any specific saxophone. And how on earth do you know that a King is going to work better for someone who I would assume you've never met? How do you know they know nothing about Mark VIs? All I can tell is that LukeAndHisSAx is interested in checking out the Mark VI as an option but doesn't know their current market value.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
1saxman is speaking from experience. I know that if I didn't already own MkVI's, that I wouldn't buy one. I'd get a new horn, just like I did when I bought my VI back in 1972. Besides, many jazz players want SBAs now instead of VIs.

·
Registered
873 Posts
While I do get the impression that this kid has no idea what makes a Mark VI a good horn for a player and most likely doesn't have the $$ for it, I don't think that it is fair to say he shouldn't have one because he didn't grow up playing vintage selmers. I bought my VI because I'd heard "it was the horn to have" and I have yet to play a better horn since...and that's after playing over 100 saxophones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
I think the main problem with buying a MKVI these days is finding a good one. The best ones rarely come on the market, and much of what is available and affordable is not so good and wearing out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. Thanks everybody I appreciate your opinions greatly. I am thinking about getting a vintage phil barone. This is supposed to be like a conn 10m but has an extremely reasonable price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Ok. Thanks everybody I appreciate your opinions greatly. I am thinking about getting a vintage phil barone. This is supposed to be like a conn 10m but has an extremely reasonable price.
one doesn't buy a horn with money-one buys a horn with their ears

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
Probably a journey to a large shop that has many horns is warranted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While I do get the impression that this kid has no idea what makes a Mark VI a good horn for a player and most likely doesn't have the $$ for it, I don't think that it is fair to say he shouldn't have one because he didn't grow up playing vintage selmers. I bought my VI because I'd heard "it was the horn to have" and I have yet to play a better horn since...and that's after playing over 100 saxophones.
Kid and money part was not neccessary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts