Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Looking for a Mark VI tenor look-alike for photos--it does not need to play, and better if looks used. Rather than buying a real and playable Mark Vi, are there any other makes/models which are visually indistinguishable from a Mark VI?
Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you want indistingisable, you're gonna need a VI, but if you just want close I'd go get a Mark VII or a Super Action 80 (the original).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want indistingisable, you're gonna need a VI, but if you just want close I'd go get a Mark VII or a Super Action 80 (the original).
What are the most easily perceptible design differences between those models and the VI?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Hire a player with a VI for the shoots.
That way you get the real horn and avoid the common, unforgivable sax faux pas that so often plague sax photos:

JazzFestivalAd-1.jpg

If you can't tell the problems with the above photo it's best you have the player to be there to say:
"Here's the way the mouthpiece is positioned, the reed goes this way, the ligature this way, the strap through this ring - no, not the bell brace! That fingering makes no sense unless your Anthony Braxton or Evan Parker..." :mrgreen:

·
Registered
147 Posts
What are the most easily perceptible design differences between those models and the VI?
Basically there's a small handful of keys that have a slightly different shape, like the pinky keys and the fork F# (that you can't see if your hands are in the right position anyway) and the body-to-bell brace is slightly different, but you can't tell the difference from more than a foot and a half.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Don't forget the bell to body brace.......totally different on a VI as compared to a VII or SA 80 (or anything newer).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
people who know VI's will tell immediately it's not one.......rest who don't won't matter.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,363 Posts
people who know VI's will tell immediately it's not one.......rest who don't won't matter.
True, but I think a lot depends on the purpose of the photo. If you want to fool someone into thinking it's a VI, for whatever reason, it won't work (see quote above). If you just want a cool-looking photo of a sax, there are dozens of different brands that will do the job.

So, again, what's the purpose of the photo?

Having said that, most modern saxes are designed after a VI and will resemble it. I actually think vintage horns look better, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts