Sax on the Web Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Short update on the original shopgoodwill mark vi story.... I got return label from them, shipped it back, and they processed the refund right away and I now have the full amount back in my account. So this adventure is closed. Thanks again for all ya advise and care. Btw I asked the guy what they gonna do with it and he said that the are working to clear so they can resist it.... seems they have not read the law or don’t understand it. So beware when another painted mark vi tenor shows up

·
Registered
Conn NW II Soprano, NW I Alto, 10M Tenor, NW I C Melody & Allora Bari.
243 Posts
Did you file a crime report when the crime happened? Your story wasn't clear on that point. And yes, it could matter.

Your statement about corruption in major cities may be too much. There could be other reasons why no action was taken. Early in my career with LAPD, I was a detective-sergeant handling residential burglaries and thefts in a small part of Van Nuys Division. Those were the days before automated files. So, as each report came in, I logged it into my monthly folder of cases. The joke about what I was doing about crime was, "But lieutenant, I'm logging them in as fast as I can." Just maintaining my own records was time-consuming. Then there were court appearances, training assignments, immediate interviewing of arrestees, time at the prosecutors' office waiting to file charges, not enough detective vehicles available for field work, etc., etc.

I handled at least 100 cases per month - impossible to contact each victim (which we were required to do) and to chase every lead and most res-burgs had no leads - it seems they were committed by ghosts. Cases that seemingly were solvable by the general public weren't that easy and often were thwarted by victims and witnesses refusing to co-operate, or moving and leaving no forwarding info. Most solvable cases often were passed on by if my first attempt to contact someone failed. There just wasn't enough time to do it all.

Many times I'd find some time to do some follow-up and then patrol officers would bring in multiple suspects and I'd have to drop everything to process the in-custodies - interview, write follow-up reports, sit in the prosecutors' office waiting to file the charges, etc. And this was in the late 1960's. Things have not improved in most cities. DAVE
Looks like not much has changed even with computerised records. :)
I don't have that many cases but it's enough. I'm constantly having to reprioritize cases as new ones come in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So what happens if your horn gets stolen, serial number scratched, and you get it back? You cant sell it anymore? You need to include the case # so someone can follow up and verify? What if you get it back before the police get involved? Looks like I'd be stuck with that horn for life!

I once spotted my wife's stolen car from the window of the bus. I stole it back. I let the police know beforehand, even though they cautioned me against it, and I took the risk of getting pulled over in the 1 or 2 miles to my home. The police didn't respond until the next day - I was afraid they wouldn't respond in time and the car would be gone - so given that everything went smoothly, I think I made the right decision.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I once spotted my wife's stolen car from the window of the bus. I stole it back. I let the police know beforehand, even though they cautioned me against it, and I took the risk of getting pulled over in the 1 or 2 miles to my home. The police didn't respond until the next day - I was afraid they wouldn't respond in time and the car would be gone - so given that everything went smoothly, I think I made the right decision.
Just having this story to tell makes it all worthwhile!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,428 Posts
mishmellow: I don't have an answer for your question. In my 30 years of public law enforcement, I've never heard of that happening. However, I think I mentioned before that LAPD had a process to re-serialize stolen property (I recall reading about it when I was studying for promotion), but I never was involved in that process. There can't be a rule for everything - there will always be exceptions.

The official response to becoming personally involved in preventing a crime or recovering your own property was always, "Don't do it, let us handle it." But every time a private person did so, they were praised for their bravery and courage, then lightly admonished for doing it, just to let the public know they were at risk in doing so . . . it happens a lot . DAVE

·
Registered
Conn NW II Soprano, NW I Alto, 10M Tenor, NW I C Melody & Allora Bari.
243 Posts
So what happens if your horn gets stolen, serial number scratched, and you get it back? You cant sell it anymore? You need to include the case # so someone can follow up and verify? What if you get it back before the police get involved? Looks like I'd be stuck with that horn for life!

Besides the risks involved, you likely destroyed or contaminated any trace evidence they could have used to identify and prosecute the thieves. But it was your right to recover your own property.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Besides the risks involved, you likely destroyed or contaminated any trace evidence they could have used to identify and prosecute the thieves. But it was your right to recover your own property.
I had my home broken into on a rainy day. They left footprints. Handprints on the TV that they didn't take. I'm pretty sure it was the neighbors who lived upstairs. Oakland police didn't show up for a week. And no they didn't dust for fingerprints and the footprints were long gone. Oakland police don't prioritize theft, even vehicular. I spotted an early 2000s silver Honda civic, my wife's car at the time, parked in a residential area while the bus was moving, because I could quickly spot a few matching license plate characters. The police responded that yeah, that's an area where stolen cars show up.

My wife and I were together on that bus ride. I think my car was in the shop? Can't remember... We waited about 2 blocks away from the car for over an hour, and kept calling the police. When it was clear that they weren't going to do anything, I couldn't hold my wife back. I patrolled the neighborhood, just a walk down and around the block to see if anyone was watching. The idea was that I'd let her know if the coast was clear and then she would hop in after. My wife broke protocol (that I had made up on the spot) and ran over to the car as I was walking past and she jumped in, so I jumped in 🤣. I'm over there trying to mouth the words, "what are you doing??" While not looking suspicious. It was like it was out of a sitcom.

mishmellow: I don't have an answer for your question. In my 30 years of public law enforcement, I've never heard of that happening. However, I think I mentioned before that LAPD had a process to re-serialize stolen property (I recall reading about it when I was studying for promotion), but I never was involved in that process. There can't be a rule for everything - there will always be exceptions.
Indeed, there will always be exceptions! I guess a city as big as LA might have a re-serialization process. Good to know that it is possible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,315 Posts
Having lived 14 years across from a major police station in the Boston area, I have a hard time imagining what it would take for me to call them. They were breaking traffic laws all the time for no reason whatsoever. Hardly a great example. When they were chasing the Boston bombers in my neighborhood, I was much more scared of the police than the idiots they were after. They once wrote me a bogus ticket, the only of my life, that I successfully contested in front of court officials. Afterward, I learned that there can be repercussions, and that it is smarter to just pay the ticket - stupid me. Given that Boston was home to W. Bulger, one can hope that the city is an exception, but when I lived in San Francisco, the police didn't exactly seem super trustworthy either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,428 Posts
I suppose many have stories of inefficiency and disappointment with law enforcement. From the inside, I could keep you entertained all day with funny and not-so-funny stories that I've seen or heard. I was a supervisor and command officer in LAPD for many years, and then was a police chief in a small Montana town. We tried to do our best but sometimes fell short of perfection. Human nature, I guess. Not all cases are clear-cut and when the bullets are flying, calmness suffers. Then, there's the second-guessing by folks who didn't have a clue . . . DAVE

·
Registered
102 Posts
I suppose many have stories of inefficiency and disappointment with law enforcement. From the inside, I could keep you entertained all day with funny and not-so-funny stories that I've seen or heard. I was a supervisor and command officer in LAPD for many years, and then was a police chief in a small Montana town. We tried to do our best but sometimes fell short of perfection. Human nature, I guess. Not all cases are clear-cut and when the bullets are flying, calmness suffers. Then, there's the second-guessing by folks who didn't have a clue . . . DAVE
It's like writing a bad customer review. You have a bad experience at a restaurant, you're much more likely to post about it. Anything short of absolute excellence, and the simple, job well done review rarely gets posted. In case I did, I don't mean to disparage your former line of work as there are just so many factors at play that determine how law enforcement works, from city to city, state to state, and case to case - I can't pretend to know. But thank you for sharing your experience here.

Short update on the original shopgoodwill mark vi story.... I got return label from them, shipped it back, and they processed the refund right away and I now have the full amount back in my account. So this adventure is closed. Thanks again for all ya advise and care. Btw I asked the guy what they gonna do with it and he said that the are working to clear so they can resist it.... seems they have not read the law or don’t understand it. So beware when another painted mark vi tenor shows up
Glad to hear! It's probably hard for a lay person to relate the same rules that apply to cars and guns, to a musical instrument.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Regarding the galaxy…

Due to my family’s immigration, not my choice, I lived in Los Angeles and environs for 26 years. Love/hate. I left it for the Pacific Northwest long, long ago. Wise move at the time.

However, when I travelled to New York City in the 1980’s (and I’ll admit to being a geek that had studied the history, culture, geography, and architecture of NYC for years), when I was in NYC I truly did feel it was the center of the universe. I got energy from it. But I was younger then and it wouldn’t be the same now.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,624 Posts
And another reason why I never want to visit California. :)
I'm glad our laws are more reasonable in this regard.
Well that's just as well; there's too many people here as it is! :)

But I don't see why a law meant to prevent theft, or to help catch a thief, would discourage an honest person from visiting someplace where such a law exists.

Anyway the OP did the right thing by returning the horn and I'm glad it all worked out for him.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts