Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did Selmer stop making Mark VI sopranos? Does anyone know the last serial numbers of this model?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
they carried on making VI sops well into the eighties,

just a minor niggle, please don't post a question twice, you will get no more, if not less responses like that than if you jut post it once.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Watsonp,
They stopped making them in 1981. My understanding is that the first SA80's were VI bodies but I have no way to know if that's true or just myth.
Hope all's well with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I was studying with long time Selmer endorser Joe Viola in, I believe, late 1983 when he received an early S80 soprano. I'm pretty sure this was a very early S80 as Joe would evaluate horns for Selmer from time to time.
BTW, Joe was very positive about the new Selmer Soprano at that time.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Joined
·
32,960 Posts
Chicken 'Lil said:
Watsonp,
They stopped making them in 1981.
They stopped making good ones a little bit before that time. ;)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW member
Joined
·
4,673 Posts
Dr G said:
They stopped making good ones a little bit before that time. ;)
My Mark VI sop is a 238 xxx, circa 1975 according to the lists I've seen. Is it considered a "good" one? ;)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
5,160 Posts
daigle65 said:
My Mark VI sop is a 238 xxx, circa 1975 according to the lists I've seen. Is it considered a "good" one? ;)
I understand the 1975 VI sopranos were defective and worth only a couple hundred dollars. Basically used to practice repairs. I'm feeling generous - I'll take it off you hands for $500. :D
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,484 Posts
$550!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
This seems like a good opportunity to throw this particular spanner into the works... it's generally believed that Selmer made the Mk VI soprano right up until the S80 came out, but... I was at a friend's a few weeks ago, he's a player and a dealer, and he showed me a Mk VII soprano, I couldn't tell you the serial number, but it was definitely engraved "Mk VII" And he'd never seen one before. Anyone else ever seen one?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW member
Joined
·
4,673 Posts
A Greene said:
I understand the 1975 VI sopranos were defective and worth only a couple hundred dollars. Basically used to practice repairs. I'm feeling generous - I'll take it off you hands for $500. :D
Nooooo way!!! I'm not falling for that again, after 5 times I learned my lesson ;)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW member
Joined
·
4,673 Posts
tranesonic said:
....... he showed me a Mk VII soprano, I couldn't tell you the serial number, but it was definitely engraved "Mk VII" And he'd never seen one before. Anyone else ever seen one?
That's very very odd :? Is it possible it was engraved after leaving the Selmer shop?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top