Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm still somewhat new to this SOTW forum and I was wondering what makes the Mark VI soprano so great?

I'm concidering getting one soon so I would aprreciate all the info I gan get.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I'm not so sure the Mark VI soprano is considered great. I think there are several others that are now preferred over the Mark VI. I believe the Yanigasawa is currently the one many claim is best. The vintage Bueschers and Conns are also prized pretty highly for their tone. At least on this forum, I don't see where a lot of experienced players are actively seeking to buy a Mark VI soprano.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
Hey I'm still somewhat new to this SOTW forum and I was wondering what makes the Mark VI soprano so great?
Usually, it's the player. Seriously though, they're fine, professional horns. Though not of the legendary status of the VI tenors, I still prefer them to Selmer's modern offerings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I have owned 3 of them and I don't consider them to be great, just good. I much prefer a Conn or Yanagisawa.

·
Registered
957 Posts
But it seems that many professionnal players (jazz & classical) play on Mark VI soprano (Marsalis, Sheppard ...)

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Most pro's at the top level would know how to get any of the pro level horns to physically function at the level they need.

IMO they choose instruments for sonic reasons and emotional reasons and financial reasons probably a lot like the rest of us.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
But it seems that many professionnal players (jazz & classical) play on Mark VI soprano (Marsalis, Sheppard ...)
really? I kinda see more of the classical guys go for the SA80II or III's, and for jazz players I think the Yamaha62R's are more in demand than the VI's

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been told a silver plated Series II is the closest sounding soprano to a Mark VI

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi,
Brought mine out yesterday (7xxx) - been playing only tenor for a while and only short spells with my backup professional sop.
To cut a long story short - to my ears nothing beats it soundwise, ergonomics are good and regarding intonation - any decent sop player should be able to play a Mark VI in tune.
My wife (who dislikes jazz) said today - what is sounding so beautiful, I assume she was talking about the sound not the playing.............
Of course my refaced Soprano planet HR Link add to the mix, too.

Just my 2 cents,

Carl

·
1,596 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Oh there is nothing to understand, it's just music played with Mark VI soprano! I like the last solo of Andy Sheppard!

·
1,596 Posts
Oh there is nothing to understand, it's just music played with Mark VI soprano! I like the last solo of Andy Sheppard!

oh so the song is "wrong key donkey"?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Doesn't let me listen to any of them.

My guess at this is that people tend to buy by brand. A VI soprano is clumsy for me to play, given that I like my other vintage Buescher horns' sound (although the Buescher sop is generally considered a better sounding instrument as well). Someone that plays a VI for tenor or alto would naturally gravitate to a Selmer sop as well -- whether they think it sounds better than the other options or not.

Less to fumble with. But that's just my 2 cents. Someone else will give you a completely different opinion on the matter, and will be just as right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
In my opinion there is something in the sound of the MkVI sop (and it's much cheaper Yanigasawa clones) that hits the spot. I don't think anyone thinks the keywork does, and intonation is said to be less than perfect (was fine on the one I tried, and on the Yani). But nothing sounds better. As you so rightly mention Mr Shepherd demonstrates.

Speaking of whom, when I saw a him awhile ago, and he had changed to P Mauriat instruments, he was still playing his VI soprano. That may have changed now, for all I know.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Ditto above. I've always played a V1 soprano and I've owned a few. Beautiful tone wins out everytime against all the Y's and the new Selmers. They do vary though. The early ones have more resistance and tonally are superior to the later freer blowing horns with better intonation. Very popular here with classical players and students. I had a Series 3 for a bit but fortunately kept my V1 which I went back to. I love it with a C* and a 3 Vandoren..just beautiful and satisfying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts