Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The attached pictures will show my damaged 103K Mark VI, not much to look at but beloved. I dropped it. Took it to a repair tech who said, it’s bent, that’s a 500 dollar repair that will take weeks. I left it there, called a week later, he hadn’t begun the work and I said I’d pick it up because I couldn’t afford the repair at this time. He said let me get a more comprehensive estimate. Called back and hour or so later and said your horn is done, playing fine now. When I went to pick it up, he said you still need to get this straightened out. I said, why if it is playing fine. He said, because it is a Mark VI and has to be right. Another player told me it would have intonation and regulation problems unless straightened. I don’t know what to think, except that I can see the upper portion of the instrument is slightly bent. My question is, what are the repercussions of this, and what should it cost to have repaired, if necessary. (It’s playing fine now).
Unfortunately, try as I might, I can't seem to get these pictures right-side-up. They are correct on my desktop, but reverse here. Anyway, thanks for any information you might have to offer.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,483 Posts
I highly doubt that there will be any intonation problems even if you don’t straighten the horn.

If it is fine now I probably wouldn’t do anything until the horn would neen a major repair. You will be surprised to see how many, seriously bent saxophones are in the hands of many pro fine players.

Many technicians straighten routinely horns that come to them with the owner not even realizing that the horn isn’t straight.

Where are you in the world? Advising on a tech without knowing where you are might be highly pointless.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Atlanta, Georgia USA, Milandro. Thanks for your reply. I do have some repair person options down here. This saxophone won't need a major repair other than this for a long long time - so... we'll see. I'm taking it to a different tech next week.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,483 Posts
In that case and especially provided there are no leaks (you say it plays fine) I would do nothing at all.

Don’t let any obsessive compulsive response get in the way of logic.

If the horn plays, it plays.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
You are smart to get a 2nd opinion. Here's mine with regard to the issues raised:

• The slight "bow" at that area will not affect the intonation.
  • The "bow" in the body tube at that location has no effect on "regulation"
  • The bend in hinge rod of the high E key can affect the seating of the pad, but can be easily straightened
  • A dirty little secret techs don't want you to know is that straightening slightly bowed a sax body is not difficult and takes very little time
  • Just because a few techs blow smoke out their a** doesn't mean the rest of us don't know what we're doing

You might try Michael Barr at North Georgia Band. He is a NAPIRT member and has excellent credentials as does his wife Keren.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
The attached pictures will show my damaged 103K Mark VI, not much to look at but beloved. I dropped it. Took it to a repair tech who said, it’s bent, that’s a 500 dollar repair that will take weeks. I left it there, called a week later, he hadn’t begun the work and I said I’d pick it up because I couldn’t afford the repair at this time. He said let me get a more comprehensive estimate. Called back and hour or so later and said your horn is done, playing fine now. When I went to pick it up, he said you still need to get this straightened out. I said, why if it is playing fine. He said, because it is a Mark VI and has to be right. Another player told me it would have intonation and regulation problems unless straightened. I don’t know what to think, except that I can see the upper portion of the instrument is slightly bent. My question is, what are the repercussions of this, and what should it cost to have repaired, if necessary. (It’s playing fine now).
Unfortunately, try as I might, I can't seem to get these pictures right-side-up. They are correct on my desktop, but reverse here. Anyway, thanks for any information you might have to offer.
Horns have bends all over the place! It may even play better. Leave it alone and have someone else fix it when you have the cash. $500 sounds ridiculous. Phil Barone

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are smart to get a 2nd opinion. Here's mine with regard to the issues raised:

• The slight "bow" at that area will not affect the intonation.
  • The "bow" in the body tube at that location has no effect on "regulation"
  • The bend in hinge rod of the high E key can affect the seating of the pad, but can be easily straightened
  • A dirty little secret techs don't want you to know is that straightening slightly bowed a sax body is not difficult and takes very little time
  • Just because a few techs blow smoke out their a** doesn't mean the rest of us don't know what we're doing

You might try Michael Barr at North Georgia Band. He is a NAPIRT member and has excellent credentials as does his wife Keren.
Thanks for this - I'm relieved. Will Grizzle lives near here. I'll probably see him tomorrow. But I will look up Michael Barr and give him a call.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Horns have bends all over the place! It may even play better. Leave it alone and have someone else fix it when you have the cash. $500 sounds ridiculous. Phil Barone
Thanks, Phil. I'm relieved to hear this, and more confident in a solution.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I saw Sol Fromkin bend a horn over his knee with the keys on. When you think about it it makes perfect sense since the keys would be bent back at the same time. It wasn’t bad, but somewhat banana shaped.
I’d shop around for a better price.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw Sol Fromkin bend a horn over his knee with the keys on. When you think about it it makes perfect sense since the keys would be bent back at the same time. It wasn’t bad, but somewhat banana shaped.
I’d shop around for a better price.
Saul is one of the few I knew personally who I would trust to do something like that. I think I know what I'm going to do next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts