Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this Mark VI 193*** a few days ago for 4G and I go away for a couple weeks specifically for Saxophone Buisness tomorrow. I've been told to watch out for Mark VI's between 170 and 200 because some were hit and miss and this is definitely a hit. The guy who sold it to me took it was fixing it for a lady and he took it all apart, overhauled it, put it back together, and the lady who had it overhauled was selling it because it was her brother's who passed away.
So, anyways, I bought it, and it's great, but somethings up. When I play D softly it squeaks out as an A. And when I play an E softly it comes out as cut off, and a half step sharp. This is really aggravating me and I need it fixed by tomorrow, but theres no where I can really take it to get it fixed in time.
This problem isn't me because nothing happens like this when I play on my King Zephyr.
What should I look for? Bent Keys? and if so, which keys?

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's really hard to diagnose something like this without being able to play the horn. It could be a leak or a mechanism problem. It could be a mouthpiece/reed problem or it could be an embouchure/voicing problem. Try taking more mouthpiece in your mouth. Try taking less. Try some different reeds or another mouthpiece. Try opening up your throat more and experiment with your tounge position. Good luck!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,907 Posts
Leaking body or neck octave key OR G# key not closing tightly.
Often it's the G# mechanism, the adjusting screw may need unscrewing a bit.

Tp test unscrew it a few turnsuntil when you play D and then press the G# keytouch watch for the keycup to open slightly. Now screw the adjuster down bit by bit until the G# key doesn't open. If you screw too far it will stop the lower RH stack keycups from closing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts