Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recentally received a selmer mark vi from a friend he used it from 1st grade to hs and was first chair and even traveled to france with his band. It is in pristine condition original pads which are working fine and laquer is 100% music store owner said it was better than his and amazing

do i bring it to school to play in band or get another one as i am low on cash(my family)

he also wants to send me a clarinet though i can't find it online
the story is when louie leblanc came to the us to introduce his new brand he brought i think 10 that he said this is the best leblanc has ever made so on this clarinet it is one of the 10 brought by leblanc himself and played by leblanc. should i accept it?
and can i get more or the story and how much this is worth ?

it was all for free also please fill me in as i am clueless

im 14 taking lessons for 1 month first picked it up when teacher came and he thought i had been playing for a year as i knew every note(played recorder 3 years)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it has a soloist from selmer paris it has c then a star and a custom vandoren paris mouthpiece both vintage

and no serial number on neck and old selmer paris neck strap

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,624 Posts
Do not take the VI to school. You will hate yourself later in life.

Find a cheap rental for school if you cant spend the cash on a used one.

Or by a darned Vito alto for 2-300 bucks and play it while you are there. If someone gets cute and thinks its a toy the loss is not severe.
We were all 14 and there are plenty of idiots that respect nothing around you.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Do not take the VI to school. You will hate yourself later in life.

Find a cheap rental for school if you cant spend the cash on a used one.

Or by a darned Vito alto for 2-300 bucks and play it while you are there. If someone gets cute and thinks its a toy the loss is not severe.
We were all 14 and there are plenty of idiots that respect nothing around you.
ditto that.

friends will do things you wont believe. they wont believe the value, think its funny, whatever. you might want to talk to the person who gave it to you and let them know what its worth. you could loose a friend when they find out.

i took a mk vi to high school in the mid 70's. when they cost about $700. unlike today, they werent so famous. i still regret some of the scratches and lacquer damage. I wish the band director had told my parents to get a cheaper one for school.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,624 Posts
What about it?

I really dont mean to sound harsh but this is not a community decision. No one can advise you. If you accept or dont accept something should be between you, the person offering it, and your family. Perhaps in the age of social networking people think strangers are their community. They are not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im asking for history on it as i cant find it online but ik it was one of the 10 i think leblanc brought to the us and said this is the best clarinet leblanc has and will ever make

1 - 10 of 10 Posts